Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts
Looking at the engine pic, I see that you have the fluid motor mounts. How's the vibration in the truck?

Discussion starter · #23 ·
its really not bad when running, fells about like my 6cyl ones. i do plan on adding a fluidamper down the road, also will check idle speed w laser tach once its all back together. it feels like it idles a lil low.

do you have the solid mounts on yours?

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Got new rad mounted along with intercooler. Upper and lower are still not ideal, couldn’t find right bends and sizes. Ended up with a 90deg elbow on lower and just a coupler and reducer on the upper. The non removable sections were done with gates power grip clamps.

Rolling right along...

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Hydroboost is on and plumbed. Re using the janky homemade brake lines for now. Just cut off and swapped fittings at master and bubble flared. Not pictured but there is a p/s cooler plumbed in now behind the grill.

Removed exhaust to knock out a freeze plug to add heater...and now will be making new downpipe. Noticed soot on the v band clamp, was hoping just a porous weld. Ended up being wrong size v band and what looks like burnt silicone.

Also made a new turbo oil feed line. Old was was 4ft long and kinked

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Got exhaust done and mounted, 4in downpipe reduced down to 3in the rest of the way to a 5in tip. Spent $45 on a walker tailpipe kit and $25 for a muffler, the rest is repurposed. Was straight pipe dumped under the bed before this. Hope it sounds decent!

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Not much to report, been using truck for errands and light towing (2500 lbs). Hydroboost is awesome, intercooler dropped boost from 30psi to approx 26, egts went from 1050 max to around 800, and even though this thing is a clunker...I literally smile every time I drive it:)

coming up soon will be a set of shocks and this throttle bracket going on, bought one for this truck and one for another. This will get rid of the factory ugly duckling and was cheap! $68 for two of them.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Trouble in paradise today. After enjoying months of trouble free operation...today, in the rain, while moving houses...she decides to shit on me. Fuel psi gauge started doing funky things ie going from pegged to 0 and so forth. Truck then dies and won’t restart.

After having my gf come with my tools, I pull fuel filter and a pre filter installed by po and find this:/

Even after replacing both filters and bleeding injectors, truck will only run for a few minutes before dying again. Each time it will restart with a bleed, then die and repeat.

my next move when I get it towed to the new house is see if my new filters are full of rust again, if so I’ll be dropping the tank for a clean. if anyone has anything to add or other things I should check I’m all ears. Is it ok to have a pre filter on the inlet side of my low pressure pump or is that a no no?

If that rust crap got past the filter you have even more woes. Could be in the injection pump or injectors. It is also possible the lift pump could have given up the ghost too. Not a terribly expensive item but those diaphragm pumps don't have a good reputation for longevity. Looks like it's time to do some serious cleaning of the fuel system. Appears you've had a lot of water in there at some time. Always wise to run a good diesel additive that will keep the water from building up.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
My fuel tank is plastic, I really don’t think the rust could have manifested in it. I did get fuel from a place I don’t normally and I suspect that is the culprit.

I treat fuel year round, I really hope it didn’t get past both filter and into the pump 🤞

I’ll post follow up once/hopefully I get it figured out

Yeah, kind of hard for a plastic tank to rust. LOL. Sure sounds like you got contaminated fuel. Believe I'd send that station a bill. Years ago a friend and I were traveling west on vacation. I was driving my Ford diesel and he a Chevy gas. We both fueled up at the same time but at two different stations. I went to the truck stop and he to the cheaper gas station across the street. About a mile or so down the road his shut down in the middle of the interstate. I took him to a place to get it towed and they found he had gotten about a half a tank of muddy water. Delayed us about 2 hours getting him towed and the mess cleaned out of his tank and a new fuel filter. I always learned on diesel to buy where the pump a lot of it.

Yeah, kind of hard for a plastic tank to rust. LOL. Sure sounds like you got contaminated fuel. Believe I'd send that station a bill. Years ago a friend and I were traveling west on vacation. I was driving my Ford diesel and he a Chevy gas. We both fueled up at the same time but at two different stations. I went to the truck stop and he to the cheaper gas station across the street. About a mile or so down the road his shut down in the middle of the interstate. I took him to a place to get it towed and they found he had gotten about a half a tank of muddy water. Delayed us about 2 hours getting him towed and the mess cleaned out of his tank and a new fuel filter. I always learned on diesel to buy where the pump a lot of it.
Never fuel up at a station that is getting a fuel delivery when you pull in... the tanks on those trucks are used for a lot of different things and they flush them with water... no kidding.. and when they dump they rile up all the sediment at the station tank too boot...

Whenever possible, I buy my diesel from a station that has pumps for semi trucks. They sell a lot of fuel which turns-over their tank quickly.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
In my area mfa is my preferred spot, but of course in a pinch/hurry I stopped elsewhere and payed for it! got it home and possibly “fixed“ for now, will still drop the tank and flush it out along w the lines.

I pulled the pre filter off in anticipation of running it on a jug to load on the trailer. no visible trash was in it, but when I tried to blow through it it was almost impossible...and this was the brand new one. The old and crusty one I could still blow through. Low and behold once putting straight section of hose in its place and priming/ bleeding it fired right up. I also have more psi on the gauge than ever before (9-10 vs 6-7 normally). it also idles higher and smoother than since I have owned it.

I did pull the spin on filter and couldn’t see any debris on it. I’m torn on adding one of those glass serviceable pre filters or just carrying a spare spin on filter and wrench with me at all times.

.... I’m torn on adding one of those glass serviceable pre filters or just carrying a spare spin on filter and wrench with me at all times.
View attachment 129537
I do NOT use this type of glass filter any more - Had one crack from cap to cap. Maybe try a semi-transparent plastic filter - It should darken as it begins to fill up with trash?

Russ

21 - 40 of 77 Posts