Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Axle swap is finally done, was a huge test of patience for me. Ran into a seemingly endless supply of issues. axle was gone through with new kp parts, seals, and brakes. Steering was converted to crossover and box moved forward in the frame

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Still pulling rust out of tank via disposable filter, this is my second one. Told myself if still having issues after the 4th one I’ll drop the tank and rinse it out. Surprisingly even with this much crud I had zero loss of psi, holds at exactly 15. I did extend the fuel lines this time to make it easier to change, it’s up near the fender now.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Awful lot of crud in that tank. I'd be thinking on a replacement or take that one off and get it flushed out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
you're right, i just dont want to do it. i at least want to burn some or most of this fuel out before dropping it. i have another plastic tank from the parts truck i can swap to if needed. for now im using it around my property only, firewood etc and keeping a close eye on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Boring updates. now that the main oil leak from pan is fixed, I’m starting to see the other leaks. main one is from the breather tube. I was a little bummed to see the oil cap dance when it was unscrewed but it doesn’t get blown off. found this crankcase breather on eBay for fairly cheap and figured it couldn’t hurt. This one has a better media to keep oil from escaping out the tube, so far so good on minimizing oil from the tappet cover breather.

i did finally find another fuel tank to swap in, should be starting on that in a few weeks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
welp, that will do it. fuel pick up had what looks like a large dead spider in it, with a ton of rust backed up behind it, def found the issue. i really really really hope i didnt hurt the head/rotor in the pump from losing pressure too many times. ill clean and reuse the pick up, "new to me" tank will be thoroughly cleaned before going in.

also tore out the rear to swap in a disc brake d80 along with 60in leafs, shackle flip and new hanger.

·
Registered
69 Posts
welp, that will do it. fuel pick up had what looks like a large dead spider in it, with a ton of rust backed up behind it, def found the issue. i really really really hope i didnt hurt the head/rotor in the pump from losing pressure too many times. ill clean and reuse the pick up, "new to me" tank will be thoroughly cleaned before going in.

also tore out the rear to swap in a disc brake d80 along with 60in leafs, shackle flip and new hanger.
View attachment 130556 View attachment 130557
Thanks for the pictures.. if everything goes right.. this will be me in a month.. same basic project..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
rear axle is swapped. waiting on new rear yoke to arrive since one u joint bolt broke off too deep for me to get out, and she will be a driver again. Went to 1410 yoke at the t case in place of existing 1310, and had new rear shaft made.

fuel system is “fixed”. I tried and tried to find a suitable tank to swap in, kept failing. Settled on a small 15 gallon cell in the bed. Sucks to use up precious bed space, but overall I’m happy to be starting all fresh. i had no idea how bad the fuel was until it was in a clean 55 gallon drum. Not only was it full of rust, also algae. Still need to make straps to hold down the tank, and yes I spilt quite a bit of fuel filling it:(

61 - 68 of 68 Posts