Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Decade lurker gets a w150 project

9K views 76 replies 9 participants last post by  slow600 
#1 ·
I joined this forum in 2011 after lurking for a while, but just yesterday 5/10/20, picked up a 4bt. I always thought they were cool, even after owning other diesels. Truck is a 1978 dodge w150 (79 grill) with a ve pumped 4bt, getrag g360, np205, and d44/d60 axles. Overall truck is rough, but does run and drive. Motor is a Cummins recon that sounds great, but leaks and I have no idea of internal condition. I will more than likely send an oil sample out just because. This will be a slow process of fixing lots and lots of minor issues, followed by either swapping Powertrain into a ramcharger or possibly leaving in truck and doing partial resto.

First up will be accessory drive. Currently has no radiator fan, and lower alternator bolt was broken off. Drilled out old bolt and slappped a new one in, but it’s not right. Lower bracket is slotted for adjustment...with a tensioner lol
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Truck
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Rim Vehicle
Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive engine part
Auto part Engine Vehicle Pipe Car
Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. Curious what turbo is on the engine? Certainly not the stock H1C. What is the CPL number? Seeing the accessory vacuum pump would make me think it's possibly a CPL767 or one used in a Ford E350. Those often had the vacuum pump. With that larger radiator you may not need a cooling fan. 4bts run cool. If any extra performance mods are in the future you might add an intercooler to the turbo system. Do you have tach, boost, and EGT gauges? Looks like a good project truck.

#3 ·
Turbo is an hx30 variant, I could not see a cpl on the tag. Truck does have crudely installed gauges, they all seem to work including egt/boost. Previous owner said pump had a gov spring and pin. It’s def not fast but does about 30 psi wide open boost. I have a few 1st gen intercoolers I can use, undecided if I’m going to yet.
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel

#5 ·
The turbo you have is the Super HX30W. Nothing wrong with that turbo. That is the largest single you can use on a 4bt without issues. You really need an intercooler with that one. I wonder if someone modified the outlet port on the compressor. It is designed to have a clamp on outlet elbow. See photo below. Looks like you engine is the CPL767. That was an early engine and there can be a few parts that are slightly different than later CPL's. A few of the fuel lines are bit different. Another member is working on one of those right now. Can't see the last digit of you serial number I see 6012220 but need one more digit to look it up on Quick Serve. Probably either a 0, 1, 2, or 3.

Attachments

#6 ·
thanks for the info. last number of serial is a 6, its 60122206. does quick serve require a subscription? i havent had much look on ebay or online trying to look up lower alternator bracket.

i havent pulled off the pipe to the intake yet, but i have a hunch he just cut the elbow to attach the straight boot. also, good chance he bought that exact kit. the drain line and super long oil feed line sure looks like what is installed.

#7 ·
  1. Quick Serve generally doesn't require a subscription if you don't host more than 5 serial numbers. The system has actually changed now and you go to a different site to look up parts. It's parts.cummins.com. Your serial number is likely a recon engine. That means it was rebuilt by Cummns at some point in time. A Cummins dealer could probably tell you what all was done to it in the rebuild. The recon engines don't necessarily show all the parts but the date says 2/9/2008. Don't feel slighted that you can't find the alternator bracket. I can't find it on Cummins parts under your serial number. Do you know what alternator you have? I've looked at 2 other engines of the same CPL and had no luck there either. There were about 3 main types of alternator mounts offered on these engine. One is for the Bosch alternator. The lower bracket for that one is 3903089. It's just a simple piece of metal with a hole in each end. See photo below. There was a bracket for an Autolite alternator which came on 6bts and possibly some used in the E350 Ford vans. Your CPL767 was one used in the Fords. The other factory 4bt bracket was for a Delco 22si alternator but yours isn't that one. They weren't adjustable because the belts were fixed length and had a tensioner to take up any slack. I just checked a 3rd engine and this one has a different lower bracket that has an offset. It's part number 3907707 which is used with alternator bracket 3907706. Pretty sure that is the Ford Autolite setup.

Attachments

#9 ·
very nice, thanks! if i was to guess, i would say the short offset lower bracket is what i need since the current slotted wrong bracket has an offset too. although every pic i can find of a 767 cpl engine shows a flat one.

i also am looking into changing the fan hub to the 2nd gen dodge offset one. this would allow me to move the tensioner over and open up space for the upper water neck. like this

#10 ·
The vast majority of those CPL767's were in Ford vans, but a few went into GM's as well. Cummins doesn't show the actual alternator for these particular engines because they were provided by the end user. They just supplied the brackets and pulley. If you look at your alternator top bracket, you may see the Cummins part number 3907706. See photo below. If so, then that little offset brace should be correct. That little offset brace 3907707 isn't so cheap as the flat one. Around $30 vs about $10 for the other. Your current belt may be OK but if you need the one spec'd its part 3921753. You can find that belt under various part numbers for Gates, Goodyear, etc.

Attachments

#11 ·
Very good info, thank you. It was impossible to read due to engine paint, afterwards it does look like 3907706. got the correct lower bracket ordered along w tensioner mount and offset fan mount. Not sure why this one has a different set up than all the other cpl’s I’ve seen online.

Nothing too exciting with truck this week. Got both stripped window regulators replaced and run channel felts installed (terrible job), and got some parts from an older truck at pick n pull. Door panels and mirror bracket.
Auto part
Bumper Automotive exterior Rear-view mirror Auto part Automotive mirror

Attachments

#12 ·
The alternator bracket would have been dependent as to what the end use of the engine was. One going into a Ford van would have had a bracket for the Autolite alternator while one in a GM would have been for a Delco Remy 10si/12si type and a generic use engine would have probably had a bracket for a Bosch alternator or a Delco Remy 21si. Lots of alternator options on Cummins and each has it's own style bracket.

#13 ·
I love those trucks... i wish i had one just like it for My 4bt..

I joined this forum in 2011 after lurking for a while, but just yesterday 5/10/20, picked up a 4bt. I always thought they were cool, even after owning other diesels. Truck is a 1978 dodge w150 (79 grill) with a ve pumped 4bt, getrag g360, np205, and d44/d60 axles. Overall truck is rough, but does run and drive. Motor is a Cummins recon that sounds great, but leaks and I have no idea of internal condition. I will more than likely send an oil sample out just because. This will be a slow process of fixing lots and lots of minor issues, followed by either swapping Powertrain into a ramcharger or possibly leaving in truck and doing partial resto.

First up will be accessory drive. Currently has no radiator fan, and lower alternator bolt was broken off. Drilled out old bolt and slappped a new one in, but it’s not right. Lower bracket is slotted for adjustment...with a tensioner lol View attachment 128004 View attachment 128005 View attachment 128006 View attachment 128007 View attachment 128008 View attachment 128004 View attachment 128005 View attachment 128006 View attachment 128007 View attachment 128008

#15 ·
Excellent project. Nice find. I have a 4bt in my 77 Ramcharger. Interesting dash. You might look for a factory dash at those pick n pulls too. An intercooler is in my future as well when ever it stops raining.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Classic car

Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Fuel line

Reactions: LiveFreeOrDietryn2B
#17 ·
Ya, I'd keep it too. Always liked those short bed Dodge trucks. Nice to find a truck with the upgraded axles, transmission, and NP205 already installed. Already a great start to a great project.

#18 ·
Cleaned up door panels with new repop armrests. Got seat recovered and seat belts from a pick n pull 73 truck. Made a new longer shifter. Pulled and pressure washed washed the rubber floor and sealed up water leaks including making a patch panel for behind the seat filler neck (still needs filler and I am not a body guy).

Actual engine work coming soon I promise! Have a pile already and more coming. Doing radiator/hoses, intercooler, belt drive and hydro boost all in one swoop.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle door Ford pampa
Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Vehicle
Vehicle door Bumper Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior

#19 ·
Nice...

#20 ·
Tore everything off motor after mowing today. Radiator and hideous hoses are finally gone. Spent more time chiseling out the two torx bolts holding the tensioner bracket on than everything else combined!

Will be going back with dodge belt drive since I already had several of the larger items like alternator and lower bracket. Had to cut off the lower ac portion of bracket due to motor mount interference, I don’t plan on having ac

Being a hoarder also paid off...stock first gen turbo outlet elbow fits this turbo and will make intercooler plumbing much easier. Same goes for intake manifold, stock 1st gen stuff.
Motor vehicle Auto part Engine Scrap Vehicle
Ring Hand Fashion accessory Auto part Finger
Metal

#22 ·
Looking at the engine pic, I see that you have the fluid motor mounts. How's the vibration in the truck?

#23 ·
its really not bad when running, fells about like my 6cyl ones. i do plan on adding a fluidamper down the road, also will check idle speed w laser tach once its all back together. it feels like it idles a lil low.

do you have the solid mounts on yours?

#26 ·
Got new rad mounted along with intercooler. Upper and lower are still not ideal, couldn’t find right bends and sizes. Ended up with a 90deg elbow on lower and just a coupler and reducer on the upper. The non removable sections were done with gates power grip clamps.

#27 ·
Rolling right along...