Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered the pump timing kit for my 4bt. The kit came but the dial indicator adapter is WAY smaller than my delivery valve housing. So any ideas where I can an adapter the will fit my pump? Thread pitch is still 1.5.
Wood Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Rim

Camera lens Wood Household hardware Cameras & optics Camera accessory

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
I appears they sent you the wrong part. If yours is a P7100 it is the same as the '94-98 Dodge. If you have a measuring devices the threads on the delivery valve holder should be 22mm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So took the DV housing to a machine shop to get am adapter made, it was measured at 25.8mm by 1.5.

With that answered, know of where one could find that bore assembly and housing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the back story... The pump was rebuilt and timed by Gillet back in 2012. My power PS/vacuum pump came loose and worked itself out. The pump cantered itself so the back dropped down while the gear was still in the timing housing and I think it caused the timing on the pump to slip. I was at a red light and all of suddden it started blowing white clouds out the back, some James Bond smoke screen kind. Ran fine before and even after. Just had to keep the RPMs up while stopped to keep it from making clouds. Well I got some upgraded injectors for the engine since I had to redo the timing. This is where I am at. I have the pump and engine pin timed right now, just to get the pump up to 17* but the adapter for the dial indicator is too small.

·
Vendor
2,728 Posts
So an A with a sprinkle of 3000

I need this info as well. Not much about it. Oregon Fuel Inj can pump them.

Reactions: CruiserPlasque

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah Gillet Diesel is the shop the pump came from. I'm not sure if they AT'd or not. May have to do it the ol fashioned way since everything is pinned timed now, get a dampner with the degrees marked on it to make it easy formyself. Since it factory 14.5, rotate the engine CC till I get 3°on the dampner, loosen pump gear, rotate back to zero, and torque down the gear. Not a fan of it this way because gear lash can cause such a -/+ in the degrees. But until someone let's the secret out on the numbers for lift on 3000s.... this is what we are stuck with.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
The P3000 was what I suspected you have. Cosmetically, they look identical to the P7100 but they are different. They also use different injectors. The A and P3000 pumps run a lower pop pressure on the injectors than a P7100. The P3000 model number would be PES4P120B120RS3378. CPL is likely 1963 or 2264. As you have found the delivery valves are not quite the same. Both the P3000 and P7100 have the same governor assembly so adjustments there are the same. Both pumps can use the same torque plates. If you want to verify you pump timing, rotate the engine and lock the cam gear pin in place. Then check the slot where the pump timing pin goes. If it fits in there cleanly, then the pump is at stock timing. If not, then you may have slipped. Need to break the gear loose on the pump. Unlock the cam pin before you do this. Those plastic pins won't stand much stress. Then rotate the pump shaft until the little pin fits correctly. Clean the pump shaft and inside the gear to remove all oil. Check to see if the engine is still at TDC by locking the cam pin again. Snug the nut on the pump shaft but don't torque it. You should have the crank immobilized so as not to stress the pump or cam pins. You break that pump pin you have serious problems. Once you'd lightly snugged the nut unlock both pins and torque the nut. After you torque it, recheck to see if both pins fit correctly. You are now at stock timing. Although, very few of our members have done it, the adjustable pump gear is a great way to set the timing. It's just kind of expensive since you replace the gear and the engine front cover. Roughly $800 for both parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The P3000 was what I suspected you have. Cosmetically, they look identical to the P7100 but they are different. They also use different injectors. The A and P3000 pumps run a lower pop pressure on the injectors than a P7100. The P3000 model number would be PES4P120B120RS3378. CPL is likely 1963 or 2264. As you have found the delivery valves are not quite the same. Both the P3000 and P7100 have the same governor assembly so adjustments there are the same. Both pumps can use the same torque plates. If you want to verify you pump timing, rotate the engine and lock the cam gear pin in place. Then check the slot where the pump timing pin goes. If it fits in there cleanly, then the pump is at stock timing. If not, then you may have slipped. Need to break the gear loose on the pump. Unlock the cam pin before you do this. Those plastic pins won't stand much stress. Then rotate the pump shaft until the little pin fits correctly. Clean the pump shaft and inside the gear to remove all oil. Check to see if the engine is still at TDC by locking the cam pin again. Snug the nut on the pump shaft but don't torque it. You should have the crank immobilized so as not to stress the pump or cam pins. You break that pump pin you have serious problems. Once you'd lightly snugged the nut unlock both pins and torque the nut. After you torque it, recheck to see if both pins fit correctly. You are now at stock timing. Although, very few of our members have done it, the adjustable pump gear is a great way to set the timing. It's just kind of expensive since you replace the gear and the engine front cover. Roughly $800 for both parts.
Yes it is a 1963 CPL. Would you happen to know the bar pressure on those injectors? I looked on Cummins parts and it won't give me and info. The injectors that I have now are 280 and they are still popping. 3802905
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Are you sure about the 280 bar? Don't know of any P pumps running 280 bar. Did a bit of research. Your injection pump is part 3928600 which I believe is Bosch part 0 402 034 701. In case you want to have a spare it lists for $12,463.65. Cheap little thing. LOL. Injectors are part 3802905 which is Bosch part 0 432 131 394. Found the pop range is 240-254 bar which is the range for a VE pump so their average would be around 245 bar. If you have injectors that are popping higher than this then your injectors are firing late which results in poor performance. A 4bt P7100 injector is Bosch part 0 432 133 861 and their pop range is 260-274 bar. You won't find any info on the injection pump parts on the Cummins site because it's a Bosch part. You'd nave to get with a Bosch dealer to see a schematic on the pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah they are 260 bar. I had to pull them to take the head to get machined, that was my smoke issues. A .010 warp.

So you rhink the 3000 is similar to are VE range of 240-254. I never had any Performance issues. Actually had really great spool starting early in throttle after I put these injectors in. I have searching for as much information about this pump as possible. I keep ending up at he same point, pulling the trigger to buy a 7100. Mainly because if some ever does go bad on the pump, I can get parts for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts