Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would post this to show that the pistons are not the only thing to worry about when running hot :pissed: . This is from a water cooled HX35 with low hours. I do not know what temps this hit but as you can see the turbine is melted and disintegrated from fatigue :skull: . I bought this for the 12cm2 housing and there were no external signs that this turbine impeller had these problems. Keep that in mind when you are picking up used turbos on ebay or where ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
odd question, but if anyone has burnt up turbines, send em to me. PM for address and tell me what you want for shipping. I can use a few for some paintings I've got planned.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Most of the water cooled turbos come off gas engines. You can get a LPG B and C engine. The turbo would be a HX35G or HX35WG, or hx40g. I put a hx40g on a old dt466 and it made a new engine out of it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not Useful Information

·
Registered
800 Posts
who is "we"? if you (you would actually be part of 'we") contacted "the engineers" then you should have received some type of document outlining the claim. you arent going to tell me "they said on the phone" i hope! and you say you dont know if has been psted "since" implies you have a copy.

so you dont have any data, charts, engeneer specs to back up what you have been posting as fact. i AM NOT ATTACKING YOU. i only think you should not argue your opinion as "facts". the average diesel turbo user feels 1200 is the safe range. you keep posting the opinion you have read and heard that 1300 is what cummins rates it for, and trying to post it as fact. the peoblem is this would be an expensive lesson for a guy to come here and follow your advice, imo.

if cummins believes that 1300 is continuous rated then there WILL BE A WRITTEN DOCUMENT stating such, provided by cummins. since they have to warranty the "fact" that 1300 is acceptable.

im patiently waiting.
since you didnt answer the other post.

·
Registered
137 Posts
well... maybe so. IMO, it is good to back things up with proof, rather than conjecture. Personal experience is not necessarily to be trusted at all times.

And we could go round and round about that too I suppose. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I replaced a turbo with a turbine wheel that looked just like that. It was off a 94 Ford Powerstroke. The turbo thrust went out, 1/4" end play, and It had a low boost condition. We pulled the turbine housing off the old turbo to exchange because it was a ATS and found This condition. The truck still ran fine. The grunts said the truck got hot pulling a grade. They didn't coment as to how hot. It did have bigger injectors, intercooler and chip.

·
Super Moderator
8,765 Posts
Every diesel turbo I've had apart had a carbon coating on the turbine.
Do you know if that one has been cleaned? If not it's probably not off a diesel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is how the turbo came and it is not so much clean as it is white from super heating burning any impurities off. It sprayed metal into the inside of the turbine housing so now it looks aluminum coated. As 57 napco said, this was likely on a gas engine for all I know.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not Useful Information

1 - 16 of 16 Posts