Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my name basil, I have a 1947 dodge wfx32(1 1/2 ton) and decided to swap the engine for a 3-53 Detroit. do you know of a truck I can steel the front and rear axle and transmission from that will go on my 3-53?

thanks for your quick response!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Basil, where are you located? A 3-53 will not give you great Power, your existing axles will handle the power, however, ratios will be somewhat dependent on use, what do you have in Mind?

Ed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a 3-53 Detroit is the biggest engine that will fit without using a torch.
I've seen a lot of old Chevys and gmc's with 3and 4-53 in them and thought it might if it would fit right in, if so, I could take the transmission and axles and fit them in my dodge. I am located in McCook NE. it will be a hole lot better than my original flat head 6 and will be easier to buy parts for
basil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks irhunter, the sale fell through and I don't even think he had the engine in stock, so back to searching for engines. thinking about the 6v53 and leaving the fenders of.
basil

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
A 6V-53 would be too crowded for a WF Dodge. Wait until you can find a 3-53. In the meantime, read through old posts about DD engines, pan fitting, height of engine, useful close ratio trans', clutch housings, proper exhaust manifolds, useful final drive ratios, etc.

Ed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was planing to replace the front and rear axles with four wheel drive anyway so that wouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking about moving the cab back and leaving the fenders/hood off. a buddy a mine has a 8v71 for sale with 319hp and n65 injectors and that would let me burn some rubber to:dustin:. right now though I've got to get my money back out of the 3-53... I don't think the squirrel even had the engine ...ebea/adelman's truck parts...bad news. thanks for your responses!
basil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maybe i'l half-to ditch the 4x4 and get the frame and drive train out of an old school bus and put the cab, front end and bed from my wf on it. this would allow me to still pull and hall a little bit to. I'm basically using my surroundings and building a truck my. my buddy wants to git rid of the 8v71 so I can git it for 2000$ with transmission. that wold give me a more standard tire size to. please don't be afraid to me with advice and correction because I'm still kind of a newbe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
irHunter,

If memory serves the 2004 and newer F550's come with a wide track Dana 60 that is upgraded to handle 5, 6, or 7000# depending on the configuration. The standard wheel configuration on the newer F550s is 10 lug 19.5 rims.

Cj

·
Registered
30 Posts
8V71: in for a penny, in for a pound.

What front axle would do well under that?

Roy
Marmon-Harrington. I know where there's a set for sale in Nipomo, CA. Yer gonna be wanting a transfer case from the same class of truck. Owner of the axles may be able to help with that. PM for details.

·
Registered
314 Posts
irHunter,

If memory serves the 2004 and newer F550's come with a wide track Dana 60 that is upgraded to handle 5, 6, or 7000# depending on the configuration. The standard wheel configuration on the newer F550s is 10 lug 19.5 rims.

Cj
Well, take sounds like it could carry the V71.

I have to think, regardless of what axle the OP uses (2wd or 4wd), he will also need to be concerned about frame strength and rigidity. Right?

Around here, it is not too uncommon to find running 6BTs with transmissions for $2k (after scrapping/parting the rest of a rusty truck)...a way easier deal than the v71, I would think.

Roy

·
Registered
23 Posts
irhunter,

Hard to say... just driving around town I don't think he would have any problems. Pulling a load... would change the outlook. If the OP puts the truck on a newer class 6 frame I don't think he'd have any problems. From the interwebs I see that the turbo version is rated to 1100 some odd ft-lbs of torque. And there would certainly be the "cool factor" of the build. In looking up Marmon-Harrington - it looks like their stuff is class 6 and higher.

Cj

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all your helpful responses I'll half to call them and talk to them about the situation. I would like a mean machine thats bullet proof and has lots of power so I"l probably end up swapping the frame. won't have much time to work on it because this is my busy season but the in the winter I should have lots of time. should have 818 ft-lb of torque
basil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thinking about $ and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be cheeper if I got a 90's dodge with a cummins and swapped axles and engine, tranny,tranfer case. any body have an idea how much it would cost or were to find one!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Around here--Maine--rusty Dodge trucks with the 6BT are pretty easy to find. In fact, it took me something like two years to sell my running-and-on-the-road '89 2WD for $2,000. It had 200k miles on it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts