Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
thats good new but I don't know if there as common around hear. do you know if thy made them with 4wd? I'll half to start looking for one.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Where are you?

Yes, 4x4 was available for the whole run of the Dodge with the Cummins. You'll get the well-respected Dana 60 front axle with all the Cummins 4x4 trucks. They started in 1989; became inter-cooled in 1991.5

If it was me, I'd look for a 1991.5 to 1997. The best of the 12-valve years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm in Mccook Ne.
I'll half to start watching for one locally. do you know the dimensions for a 6bt
basil

·
Registered
414 Posts
PM me your email address, and I will send a diagram with all the dims.

I would think Nebraska would be a good place to find one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am no able to sen you my email till I have ten posts or more.
thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it and m impressed with this forum

·
Registered
414 Posts
PS: at least around here, the Dodge with the 5-speed is super hard to find.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I don't think I have time to go get it and fuss around with the title so I'll half-to keep watching for one.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well, it's a 2wd...you OK with that?

For me, 300k would be too many miles. How many miles on that 4x4 which is 3-hours from you?

To figure out what parts you need, you have to decide if your current differentials are strong enough, and geared correctly, for the Cummins. Same for your current transmission and t-case.

The top of the torque curve for the Cummins is at about 1,750 rpm; and, it produced 400 ft. lb. of torque. Most guys decide they need both and overdrive transmission and differential gears in the 3.5 to 3.75 range.

With no overdrive, most will want something close to 1:3.0 gears.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
ok I'll pas on that one, I want one with low enough miles that I can drive it around. I'll need the hole drive train setup because the transmission and rear axle are geared goofy and it only goes about 45. how many miles would you recommend? Im not going to be able to get the 4x4 because of time.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well, you will find reports from guys with 500k on original motors. That said, I think at about 300k miles one should not be surprised to have expensive issues with the 6BT (bearings, rings, valves, or injector pump). So, is a 300k engine out of the question...I would say, "No" if you don't plan on putting many miles/year on it, or if the motor was cheap, or rebuilt.

Also, at 300k, I would say the differential/transmission/transfer-case bearings are all living on borrowed time.

As I said earlier, I sold a 1989 200k Dodge with a fully-functioning 6BT for $2,000. I recently bought a 1993 107k 4x4 Dodge with the 6BT for $3,500.

But, a 300k motor in a 2wd Dodge for $6,500...not for me.

If I were you, I would shoot for 200k or less.

·
Registered
1984 Chevy military M1008/K30.
62 Posts
hello my name basil, I have a 1947 dodge wfx32(1 1/2 ton) and decided to swap the engine for a 3-53 Detroit. do you know of a truck I can steel the front and rear axle and transmission from that will go on my 3-53?

thanks for your quick response!
Basil, there is a kid on YouTube that did a 4-53T in a K20 I believe. It's a 7 part series that shows the complete build but doesn't go into much detail how it was done. You'll get the idea what it takes to swap a Detroit into a pickup truck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
finally bought a truck, but I ended up going with a ford 460. I suppose gassers aren't aloud on this site? if so, fare well till next time.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts