Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Isn't it nice to look at shiny, clean engine. Sort of makes you feel warm all over. LOL.
Very true, a shame to hide all those shiny parts, could make a coffee table out of it.:) Can't wait to hear it run.:) Merry x-mas..:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well I was able to sneak out and work on the 3-53T. I got the head torqued down and am now putting the blower, governor on next. Happy Detroit.:)

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
I changed out some spring bushings on my old truck years ago and the torque on the U bolts was something unreal. I had a 3 foot section of aluminum pipe the fit the handle of my torque wrench perfectly. When trying to pull something like 300 ft lbs or more it was needed. Was watching a video the other day when a local guy was rescuing an old stationary steam engine. This thing was a monster. To remove the exhaust pipe which was in the 6-8" size, he used a chain wrench with a 4 foot section of pipe on the end and pulled it with a 12,000 lb winch on his rollback. It worked perfectly.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I changed out some spring bushings on my old truck years ago and the torque on the U bolts was something unreal. I had a 3 foot section of aluminum pipe the fit the handle of my torque wrench perfectly. When trying to pull something like 300 ft lbs or more it was needed. Was watching a video the other day when a local guy was rescuing an old stationary steam engine. This thing was a monster. To remove the exhaust pipe which was in the 6-8" size, he used a chain wrench with a 4 foot section of pipe on the end and pulled it with a 12,000 lb winch on his rollback. It worked perfectly.
True, I have a cheater pipe around somewhere. The cam and idler shaft require 300 ft lbs and just used my weight to get to 300.lol

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Snuck out again today and got the blower and governor on. Biggest challenge is finding all the bolts.lol

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Another step to getting this old Detroit running again. Oil cooler, water pump and thermostat housing installed.:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Made a new spring rack from an old 4-53T for the 3-53T and installed it. This will help prevent a runaway if an injector stick. Works great.:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Installed the new rack and gave it a tune up. Now all I need todo is flush and prime the fuel system, add a flywheel and she's pretty much ready to start.:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Got the flywheel on and primed the fuel system, now to get a starter working so I can start it.:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Jimmies ready to work now.:) All painted up and the next step is to mount the compressor and fit to the chassis.:)

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
She looks pretty as new. We have a guy here locally who's working on an old crane built in 1952 that had been sitting out in a swampy area for the last 20 years. It has a 2-71. The 2 main issues he had was a missing starter which he finally figured that out and it needed a set of injectors. In about 2 or 3 days he had that sucker running. Only other issue he's found was a leaking water pump. He said those much have some gold in them because they want over $1000 for a new one or in the high hundreds for a rebuild. Other option was a kit that was a little under $200 but would take at least a month to get. He decided to tear into it and see what all was wrong. 2 new bearing cost $14 the seals looked OK. Has it back together and if it still leaks he'll do the kit.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Awesome, they are really simple to fix. Replacement water pump for the 53 series is about 150 bucks and the rebuild kits are 80-100.:)

41 - 60 of 100 Posts