Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
You'd probably like this guy. Like you, he has brains. He's a man of many talents. Has a pretty decent machine shop. 3 lathes, milling machines, etc. For business, he operates a towing service but has a number of hobbies. One of his hobbies is his 5 year old grandson. When the boy was 2 years old grandpa built him a 23 hp rat rod car. Don't think I had a tricycle when I was 2. This year for Christmas grandpa built him a diesel powered bulldozer. Here's a link for some of the work he's doing on the old crane.
Also, here's links to the boy's car and bulldozer.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Test fit Jimmy into his new home.:) Not much to change around before he's bolted in.:)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
What's the plans for this monster? That's a pretty serious mobile compressor. Going to need to paint some of the other parts. They're making that beautiful engine look bad. LOL. The guy with the crane was back at it again. Installed his rebuilt water pump and gear unit. Fired it up and everything turns now but hasn't gotten the crane to move yet. A bit more work to get it sorted out.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
What's the plans for this monster? That's a pretty serious mobile compressor. Going to need to paint some of the other parts. They're making that beautiful engine look bad. LOL. The guy with the crane was back at it again. Installed his rebuilt water pump and gear unit. Fired it up and everything turns now but hasn't gotten the crane to move yet. A bit more work to get it sorted out.
Nice I'll have have a look.:) The plan is to blow my irrigation and pool with it and do some cash jobs on the side. Lots of irrigation systems to blow out in the fall.:) I had originally bought a smaller 185 CFM unit and was looking for an engine for it. When I went to get the engine (353) I noticed this compressor in the back of the yard, he say you can have it for free.:) So I gave him a case of beer for it and the rest is history. I might get a sand blaster for it as well and maybe a huge blaster cabinet.:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
P.S. Stripping the compressor as we speak to pressure wash and eventually paint once I make the engine mounts.:)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I figured you were going to make this rig look nice. Jonathan drove his crane out of the woods under its own power. A slow process but got it out to the highway. Next step will be hauling it home and working on the issues. The little 2-71 just purred like a kitten. This critter weighs 26,000 lbs. His buddy who was helping has a big semi rig with a low boy trailer. Once he gets it home the fun of sorting out the problems can begin.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Took a week off and cleaned my shop so I could move again.lol Stripping the Ingersoll Rand back to the frame rails.:) Next is to pull the engine, compressor tank and then pressure wash it. Lots of rust and such to clean, but that's expected with a unit this neglected.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
You can keep the -21C up there. It is 8C here right now and was 18C 2 days ago. A bit unusual for mid February. Of course we had a little snow last Sunday but it was gone by the evening.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Pulled the pressure vessel today as well as the engine and compressor. Now I can get serious with cleaning, repairing and installing new engine mounts.:) Was a low of -20C overnight, so with the doors open the shop quickly dropped to -5C.:( Now I can keep the doors closed and work in comfort.:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey 310, I know you are busy with your air compressor, but your weather is down here stumbling around drunk, could you please take the time to come get it and sober it up!
Right now my temp is 20C below the normal for today, yup it's drunk.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Hey 310, I know you are busy with your air compressor, but your weather is down here stumbling around drunk, could you please take the time to come get it and sober it up!
Right now my temp is 20C below the normal for today, yup it's drunk.:ROFLMAO:
Lol, I'll certainly have a chat to him.:) Hard to keep my shop warm when the 2 exposed walls are -9C.lol

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Would have been nice if you could have sand blasted it. You'll have that option once you get it done. I agree with Steve on the cold. About 80% of the US is in the deep freeze and much of it with snow and ice. Luckily, where I'm at we've only had rain but it's been at it for a week now and no end in sight until maybe the weekend. There was even a bad tornado that hit eastern NC this morning doing major damage and killing 3 people. Not going to complain about my cold, rainy weather compared to others.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I made it up to 15 today, felt like a heatwave!
Seeing how this is a Detroit forum, over the past few weeks I cleaned and pickled a pair of exhaust manifolds in distilled vinegar. (first time I've used vinegar to remove rust) Did a great job, but immediate flash rust after rinsing with clear water, so I dipped them in phosphoric acid for a few minutes, rinsed again. I've painted with KBS high temp paint and cured them at 350 degrees in my wife's oven, look great, hope they stay nice in use

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Seeing how this is a Detroit forum, over the past few weeks I cleaned and pickled a pair of exhaust manifolds in distilled vinegar. (first time I've used vinegar to remove rust) Did a great job, but immediate flash rust after rinsing with clear water, so I dipped them in phosphoric acid for a few minutes, rinsed again. I've painted with KBS high temp paint and cured them at 350 degrees in my wife's oven, look great, hope they stay nice in use
Nice, I've used electrolysis in the past with great success. Takes about a week to remove all the rust. Now I use hydrochloric acid for most tasks.:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
On the topic of exhaust manifolds, I now just wire wheel them and paint with standard paint. I've found that the high heat paint eventually burns off when subjected to 950 degrees. My 4-53TIB has converted my nice exhaust black paint to a brown chalky dust.:)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
If you want something to coat the exhaust manifold that is long lasting the answer would be ceramic coating. Not cheap, mind you, but it stays on there. Has several other benefits. Lowers the engine compartment temperature and improves turbo spooling. Of course you'd want to coat the turbo's turbine housing too. There are different grades of those coating ranging from mainly cosmetic to space age. I priced some of that years ago and just to do a turbine housing in the higher quality was around $500. Now if you had no holds barred money there are the space age products with a 6000 deg F heat rejection. Jay Leno used that on his Doble steam car boiler. You could put an acetylene torch on one side of a 1/8" panel and it wasn't warm on the other side. Never had the nerve to check how expensive that was. One of those things if you have to ask you can't afford it. LOL.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts