Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, ceramics would be best, but it doesn't pay to have ceramic coated exhaust manifolds if I can't afford to buy tires for the truck.
This paint I used seems to be ceramic powder in an epoxy base and there are epoxys that will take the temp.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
What I ended up doing was wrapping my exhaust manifold with exhaust wrap as well as a ceramic insulation. I insulated both turbos with turbo blankets. My top turbo is only 2" from my hood, so without the blanket it would burn the paint Lol.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Another week wrapped up, removed all the broken bolts, repaired the broken compressor mount and made a new mount for the 3-53T.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Looking good. The original engine must have had some terrible torque to have torn that mount like it did.
Thanks, I'm not sure how it broke. Was Cummins 4BT that broke a rod, so maybe it was from the shaking? Hard to say really.:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Started the body work today. I was going to scab a roof from another smaller compressor, but decided to make a new one from a fresh sheet.:) I hate burning paint anyway, so nice to work with fresh material.:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
What you get for mileage with your truck with 453
I'm averaging 14 mpg city and 18 mpg hwy, truck is 9200 lbs. I got 13mpg towing for 800 miles, loaded for 50% of that at 16000 truck and trailer. I expect to see around 10-11 loaded both ways.:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Finished up most of the roof and found an intercooler for it this weekend. Slowly coming together.:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Cut the center hoist for the roof, cut and welded up the Duramax intercooler to fit the Ingersoll Rand.:) Happy Detroit.:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Finished off the Turbo adapter from an N to T4, I made it from 3/8 plate scrap.:) Overall very happy with it.:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Made the intercooling pipes and cut and welded the blower intake.:) Slowly making progress.:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Curious, have you stopped posting to this forum? Have seen some recent posts on YouTube but nothing here.
No, I haven't done anything to this project to update.:) I've been busy getting all my vintage Hondas back on the road for the season. I'll be updating my 4-53T build as I have the cab off doing some updates.:) Will post in the coming days on that.:) Hope to finish off the truck this coming week and start on the compressor again.:)

81 - 100 of 100 Posts