Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 4-53 to use as a roller. The motor runs great and when I bought it it had no signs of it's current problem. After running for about 5 minutes at higher rpm (15-2000) it begins spraying oil out the exhaust, not like it has been burned in combustion but like it is leaking into the exhaust manifold from somewhere.
If I undo the cover on the engine block where it is placed and the blower is full of oil.
The injectors are new.
Cylinder is new.
The pipes that lower the oil into the tank are clean.
The blower has a new repair kit.
Help please

·
Registered
430 Posts
Welcome, Your 4-53 sounds like it's slobbering or another term is wet stacking. To fix this problem you need to load the engine up and get some heat built up. Wet stacking is caused from incomplete combustion and this is a common problem on the Detroits. Before you do this make sure you're running SAE 40 or 30 not multigrade, jeck the airbox drain tube is clear so the airbox can clear out. Then all you have to do is run the engine under full load for 30 minutes or so and that should clean it up. I'm have the same problem with my 4-53T and will be pulling some hills shortly to fix this problem. Try this out and if that doesn't work then there are other things to consider.:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you have a blower full of engine oil, it is quite possibly a bad blower seal. Wet stacking isn't engine oil (it is half burned fuel + carbon) and you should be able to figure out which you have coming out the exhaust.
I lost a wrist pin seal on a 6v and it was pumping 2 quarts per mile out the exhaust, so there's that to consider also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to add what was posted already. Hard to diagnose exactly remote.

Blowing blue smoke?

(1) If you take off blower housing and look at the rotors, are wet?
You listed ‘ blower repair kit’ - Rubber/teflon seals could have been damaged.
(2) Would pull The exhaust manifold loose to see if only one port is wet or all ports are wet.
(3) Looking at list of work done recently, did you do an in-frame overhaul? Possible incorrect installed or broken oil control ring. Also piston retainer leaking.
(4) mostly it is NA but if it had a turbo, may be a source.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the answers.

The engine does not give blue smoke going very normally does not release smoke almost at all.

If I disassemble the exhaust manifold I have oil on all 4 pistons .

All blower seal is new.The engine does not have turbo is simple.

The engine runs perfectly for the first 5-10 minutes after which it starts . After 5 -10 min the carter is filled with oil and give the oil to the exhaust.

I ordered again all the gaskets and blower gaskets.Maybe can mounted incorrectly.

the engine overhaul kit was made 2 years ago.
can a piston ring have been damaged?

Thank you all for answers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to add what was posted already. Hard to diagnose exactly remote.

Blowing blue smoke?

(1) If you take off blower housing and look at the rotors, are wet?
You listed ‘ blower repair kit’ - Rubber/teflon seals could have been damaged.
(2) Would pull The exhaust manifold loose to see if only one port is wet or all ports are wet.
(3) Looking at list of work done recently, did you do an in-frame overhaul? Possible incorrect installed or broken oil control ring. Also piston retainer leaking.
(4) mostly it is NA but if it had a turbo, may be a source.
The engine does not give blue smoke going very normally does not release smoke almost at all.

If I disassemble the exhaust manifold I have oil on all 4 pistons .

All blower seal is new.The engine does not have turbo is simple.

The engine runs perfectly for the first 5-10 minutes after which it starts . After 5 -10 min the carter is filled with oil and give the oil to the exhaust.

I ordered again all the gaskets and blower gaskets.Maybe can mounted incorrectly.

the engine overhaul kit was made 2 years ago.
can a piston ring have been damaged?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts