Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

261 - 280 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Very small update as I was away all week, but decided that I'm going to paint the engine silver instead of the alpine green. It just looks a little nicer and shouldn't leak as much.:)

View attachment 124465
View attachment 124467
View attachment 124469
View attachment 124471
Looking good. Good job shoe horning it in there. It looks like a factory install. I've never seen a V-8 power stroke look like that, LOL. I must say, I didn't know silver paint would make a Detroit not leak as much, LOL again. What kind of air filter are you using? It looks like what I have on my 4BT. I found a good site to buy air,oil and fuel filters plus they give 10-20% off depending on how much you buy and they are almost have the price of NAPA/Wix. It's called www.fleetfilter.com

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Looking good. Good job shoe horning it in there. It looks like a factory install. I've never seen a V-8 power stroke look like that, LOL. I must say, I didn't know silver paint would make a Detroit not leak as much, LOL again. What kind of air filter are you using? It looks like what I have on my 4BT. I found a good site to buy air,oil and fuel filters plus they give 10-20% off depending on how much you buy and they are almost have the price of NAPA/Wix. It's called www.fleetfilter.com
Thanks, I used the OEM Ford filter and housing. I cut and fiberglassed it so it would fit the space I had available, and for the elbow I made that from fiberglass.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Looking great. Need to have a way to change the sign on the fan shroud from V8 to I4 or something. Be good to mess with the minds of the local Ford shop mechanics.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Looking great. Need to have a way to change the sign on the fan shroud from V8 to I4 or something. Be good to mess with the minds of the local Ford shop mechanics.
Thanks, I'm having a think on that exact idea for the fan shroud. I'm thinking of making a mold of a the Detroit Diesel thats stamped on the valve covers. The stamping is 10" long and would look great in silver. The other idea is using a vinyl decal, so it's going to have something like this. For now I'm going to remove the Powerstroke name and make a final decision soon.:)

IMG_7180.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Decided to fix a few snags before I finalize the engine position and send my drive shafts out, as well as lengthen my shift cable. One of my alternators is slipping and looks like the fan hub is as well, so I have to make some small adjustments to my idler pulley to add more belt rap and more tension. Once finished I can run the engine up with the fan on and make sure I have the correct fan to radiator clearance with the fan clutch engaged. Measure twice and cut once.:) P.S. Most of the problem stems from running the accessories on the right side of the crank instead of the left.:) :deadhorse:

IMG_7314.jpg
IMG_7315.jpg
IMG_7316.jpg
IMG_7317.jpg

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Yeah, the top alternator wrap looks fine. The bottom one is a bit loose though. I always follow the old carpenter's rule. Cut if off twice and still too short. LOL.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Had a pretty productive week on my swap. I made some adjustment to the serpentine pulleys and got rid of the alternator slipping, but now have to make a final adjustment to stop the power steering pulley from slipping.:) Third time should be the charm. In testing the belt I also hooked up the intercooler and degas bottle and tested that as well. Tomorrow I'll work on the serpentine belt and hopefully have enough time to test the fan as well. Once I'm happy, I'll measure the driveshafts and send them out to the machine shop. I'm also going to get the harmonic balancer balanced. It's very close, but I did it on my lathe and could use a final balance just to make sure it's as smooth as can be.:) (don't like breaking cranks) Not many pictures this week, but did make a video on Tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4K_1PKzqWQ

IMG_7330.jpg

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Quick update, I installed the fan and tested it. It works great but I still need to address the slipping serpentine belt though. I'll put some time on that issue to resolve it next week as well as make a bracket for the fan wire harness.:) While working on the fan I got sidetracked and ground off the Powerstroke emblem.:)

IMG_7346.jpg
IMG_7343.jpg
IMG_7348.jpg
IMG_7351.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
At last! I was beginning to worry you were going to live with the PSD emblem.

I should have known better...after all your fine engineering.

Roy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
How do you remember how the belt threads?

Ed
It's pretty easy as I hand made the entire system and have had the belt on and off a million times.:) Looks like I'll be taking it off and on a few more times till it's finished.:)

·
Registered
451 Posts
How do you remember how the belt threads?

Ed
I was wondering the same thing. I have trouble with some vehicles that only have 3 or 4 parts to run. I don't remember so well so I'd make a drawing and put it in my maintenance log book.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
I was wondering the same thing. I have trouble with some vehicles that only have 3 or 4 parts to run. I don't remember so well so I'd make a drawing and put it in my maintenance log book.
If it gets complicated like rebuilding injector pumps or transmissions etc, I often take pictures of the item as I'm taking it apart.:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Short week as kids were out of school for two days. I did however get the shift cable attached and working, was nice to see the output shaft turning. I also made a mount for the fan wiring harness and tested the fan. I'm also addressing an issue before I started my swap where the truck doesn't come out of park. I'm now into that snag for three hours and haven't found the problem yet.:( Next week I lift the cab again to measure the drive shafts and finish the fix for slipping serpentine. I also bought my HPTuner program so I can fix my check engine light and tune the transmission.

IMG_7361.jpg
IMG_7365.jpg
IMG_7378.jpg

261 - 280 of 310 Posts