Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

341 - 360 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Thought I'd share this one with you guys as some of you own the first gen Dodges. My sister had an accident in our 93 Dodge D250 and walked away without a scratch. Just a few bruises and and that's about all, someone is definitely looking over her.:). She hit some black ice in the mountain highway and left the road, rolled down a bank and landed upright. I had the wreck recovered and stored for 3 months until I can go a pick it up. I'll salvage what I can and throw the rest and decide what to do. I've collected a lot of parts over the years to convert this truck into a W250 including the frame and running gear for the 4X4. The plan was a frame off restoration, but this is going to set that idea back a bit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's impressive! Glad she was OK after that. My cousin just died in an accident 3 weeks ago. He was in an 07 Silverado. Plowed into a tree at 95mph. Really sad situation. Long chain of bad decisions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
That's impressive! Glad she was OK after that. My cousin just died in an accident 3 weeks ago. He was in an 07 Silverado. Plowed into a tree at 95mph. Really sad situation. Long chain of bad decisions.

I'm sorry to hear that, this could have ended up the same way.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Ouch. Is there any straight sheet metal left on that truck? Those older trucks had some good metal in the bodies and the area around the driver was pretty much intact. The passenger's side wasn't quite so good. Only had a few wrecks in my life and the worst I got was a bruised elbow. Always been a careful driver and tried not to do anything stupid. None of my wrecks ever involve snow or ice, just other stupid drivers who caused them. 2 were rear end collisions while I was sitting at a stop light and the other was some idiot coming down the center of the road which cause me to take to the ditch instead of hitting him head on. That's the one that bruise by elbow when my '73 F100 4x4 turned onto its side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can’t help but chime in seeing goodness of God again in a rollover. Thirteen years ago we were on our way to Mexico with the Gmc Suburban 4-53 towing another Sub (6.2) loaded pretty heavy. A front tire blew out on the rear Sub sending us into a spin in the blink of an eye. Thankfully the hitch snapped and the rear vehicle sped on past us sliding sideways and stopping in the ditch with only fender damage. Seven of us including a spare driver, all belted in, rolled once and landed on our side in the thorny grass south of San Antonio. Our 5 year old second child, oldest boy, was safely belted in between 2 others that didn’t have scratches but he was cut up around the face and had a hematoma on the temple. He got life flighted and stayed 2 days for observation in the hospital. He has the scars but is first technician at the shop today, I’m so glad to have him.

After getting released from the hospital we went to the holding lot, paid the fee, barred over the 4-53 to check for hydra-locking, and fired it up with a wood block ready to clap on the turbo in case of runaway. All was well so we replaced 2 bent rims and drove the 800 miles to central Mexico. (No more hooked together, but separately.) With the back all crushed down and more glass gone than remaining it’s hard to believe we survived the countless police officer pullovers and the indignant officers saying the hulk belonged in the junk yard right then and there! Not to speak of the border crossing. But it seemed like they’d almost get mesmerized by the steady idle of the Detroit and it’s driver insisting that the engine was too valuable to let go to wrecking yard...and then they’d always end up saying we were gonna get stopped again down the road but they guessed we could keep on going!😀
In Mexico we eventually found a decent Suburban not running that we were able to buy and paint the same woodland green and it’s body is what’s on it to this day, (except the front clip which got replaced 7 years ago after hitting a black bull on a dark night here in Mo)
So there’s my little story...
Marcus

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
I can’t help but chime in seeing goodness of God again in a rollover. Thirteen years ago we were on our way to Mexico with the Gmc Suburban 4-53 towing another Sub (6.2) loaded pretty heavy. A front tire blew out on the rear Sub sending us into a spin in the blink of an eye. Thankfully the hitch snapped and the rear vehicle sped on past us sliding sideways and stopping in the ditch with only fender damage. Seven of us including a spare driver, all belted in, rolled once and landed on our side in the thorny grass south of San Antonio. Our 5 year old second child, oldest boy, was safely belted in between 2 others that didn’t have scratches but he was cut up around the face and had a hematoma on the temple. He got life flighted and stayed 2 days for observation in the hospital. He has the scars but is first technician at the shop today, I’m so glad to have him.

After getting released from the hospital we went to the holding lot, paid the fee, barred over the 4-53 to check for hydra-locking, and fired it up with a wood block ready to clap on the turbo in case of runaway. All was well so we replaced 2 bent rims and drove the 800 miles to central Mexico. (No more hooked together, but separately.) With the back all crushed down and more glass gone than remaining it’s hard to believe we survived the countless police officer pullovers and the indignant officers saying the hulk belonged in the junk yard right then and there! Not to speak of the border crossing. But it seemed like they’d almost get mesmerized by the steady idle of the Detroit and it’s driver insisting that the engine was too valuable to let go to wrecking yard...and then they’d always end up saying we were gonna get stopped again down the road but they guessed we could keep on going!😀
In Mexico we eventually found a decent Suburban not running that we were able to buy and paint the same woodland green and it’s body is what’s on it to this day, (except the front clip which got replaced 7 years ago after hitting a black bull on a dark night here in Mo)
So there’s my little story...
Marcus
Wow, again lucky for you guys as well. I've got the truck stored for three months for now and when I finish tidying up my shop I'll go and pick it up. That's the first tow job for the 4-53T.:) Haven't done any work this week as finding a good used car for my sister.:)

Harling

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
Snuck out early this morning to fix my brake light issue. After some testing I determined there was a break in the wire from the fuse to the brake switch. I pulled the fuse box and opened the wire loom up to chase the suspect wire. Did not take long and I found the corroded section. Soldered it and brake switch works.:) Finished that up and drove the truck home. Shifts pretty nice, but will tune the trans to lock the torque converter in 2nd and up. Other than that I'm really happy with it. I still have to hook up the Webasto and lift the box at the same time, but it's a daily driver again.:) I'll post a video when I get it all dialed in. This pretty much wraps up the swap guys, I'll post some updates as I gain some miles on the Detroit. Thanks for all your input and help along the way and I hope you enjoyed this swap.:)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Quick little update, I've got 400 miles on my little Detroit and she's running great. Only failure is my fuel shut off solenoid stopped working, so have ordered a stronger one. Trans is shifting great on 50% throttle or less, but flares on on full throttle. I've started tuning the trans and having limited success, a lot to learn in the tuning department. Overall it's pretty nice.:) Here's a quick tube video going through the gears in town.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I watched it about 30min ago and it seemed to work.

Very nice conversion. Hoping you get the trans sorted out.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
I watched it about 30min ago and it seemed to work.

Very nice conversion. Hoping you get the trans sorted out.

Thanks, I've got the locking issue sorted out, just have to get the flares sorted now. Then onto the tow/haul mode and tweek that a little.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've driven a couple of Ford UHaul trucks in the mountains - I like the tow/haul mode.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Watched the video. Truck sounds good. A little of that Detroit sound on take offs but when cruising along it was very quiet. Be interesting to see what kind of fuel mileage it gives. Have to take it down to a local Ford dealer and show them what's possible. LOL.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Watched the video. Truck sounds good. A little of that Detroit sound on take offs but when cruising along it was very quiet. Be interesting to see what kind of fuel mileage it gives. Have to take it down to a local Ford dealer and show them what's possible. LOL.
Lol, no I haven't been down to the dealer.:) My first check was 15 imperial mpg city and haven't done a highway check yet. This should improve now that I have the torque converter locking from third up. Very happy with the trans now that I've spend some time tuning it. More changes to get it just right for the Detroit, but very happy.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
If you're getting 15 MPG imperial then that's 18 MPG US gallons. Not bad at all for around town and just getting it tuned in. Might get into the low to mid 20's on open road cruising.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You really have it quiet in the cab, Harling. Sounds really nice. I just watched it for the second time. I’m glad you’re able to tune that transmission with the programmer. I know sometimes things like flares can correct themselves as the TCM relearns. Thanks for the Video!! -Marcus

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
You really have it quiet in the cab, Harling. Sounds really nice. I just watched it for the second time. I’m glad you’re able to tune that transmission with the programmer. I know sometimes things like flares can correct themselves as the TCM relearns. Thanks for the Video!! -Marcus
Thanks, I've left it alone for 2 days now and it's shifting better all the time. Heading out for another 2 hour road trip tomorrow and a 5 hour trip on Sunday.:) Cheers Harling

341 - 360 of 374 Posts