Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

361 - 380 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Looks like I really should have rebuilt my 4-53T. I started having blowby issues when under 30 psi of boost. I got 1000 kms on the engine and went out to work the rings back in. Well 5 minutes into the 8% grade the engine shit itself, broke the liner in cylinder #2. It was running well, then the temp started to climb rapidly, with a haze out the exhaust. When the temp hit 190-195 I started to back off the throttle, but too late. Cylinder #2 failed and by the time I could get to a safe pull off the temp was 200-205. This isn't hot, but for a Detroit it's about as hot as you ever want to get. It drank 2 gallons of coolant in a very short period of time. I started to pull the engine apart to see what caused it and I wasn't very happy. All the liners are worn out, signs of rusting from years out in the Florida weather before some smart person decided to get it running and sell it off. Anyway I can only blame myself as I certainly know better, but was fooled by how well it ran. Looks like I can now build it up with better parts and make some more power.:) Here's some pictures and a tube video. To be continued.:)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
We need a "That sucks" button - I really liked your build

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Bummer my man. Rebuild her and she'll be back to kicking butt in no time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Reminds me of the time on the 4bt expedition i built when the wife was driving home from work and the crankshaft broke in two after only a couple thousand miles of it up and running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Thanks guys. I really should have rebuilt it before I put it in the truck, but ran so well I took a chance. It wasn't until I put a load on it that I started to see trouble. Oh well an excuse to build a fresh engine.:)

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
As Russ said, that just sucks. Sort of fits the scenario of a good running Cummins engine. Never trust those words unless it come with a warranty. It runs good until if falls apart next week. It's never a happy moment when engine problems arise.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
As Russ said, that just sucks. Sort of fits the scenario of a good running Cummins engine. Never trust those words unless it come with a warranty. It runs good until if falls apart next week. It's never a happy moment when engine problems arise.
I should have known better, but it ran so well on the stand that I figured it was worth a try. I've got another one I bought for scrap, so I'm going to have a good look at that one as well and pick the best parts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
When the engine failed I was pretty upset, but then started look at the positive side and now I can build the engine I want.:) I'll build an engine that will have more power and be reliable, so that's what I'm going to do. The camshaft needs a regrind as well, so I'm sending that out to Leid's and they will grind a performance cam for me. So in the end it should pull the same hill with ease.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dumb question...in the video of you pulling the hill, is you speedometer measuring in KMH or MPH?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Yeah, now that it's down is time to check out all the parts. At least you're getting plenty of practice putting the engine in and out of the chassis.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As far as you cavitation issues, we should probably all be running ELC coolant... nitrite additive in iron blocks to reduce cavitation (you have to maintain the mix) and nitrite free ELC coolant in aluminum blocks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
I thought as there is interest in this build I would show the engine build as well. Although this is unfortunate that the engine failed it is my fault for not rebuilding it while it was on the stand. This now gives me the opportunity to build the engine the way I want with some performance parts to improve the efficiency. I'm going to send my cam out to Leid's and have them do a performance grind on it. This along with new valves and springs will increase power and lower egt's. I'll be installing N liners and trunk turbo pistons to improve scavenging and again improve performance. I have 2 4-53T's so I'll be sending out the blocks, cranks and heads for magnafluxing to make sure they are usable. I'll cherry pick the best parts from both engines and build a good one from those. Then I can keep the cores as spares if I ever need them in the future. I'm in the process of repairing my forklift's hydraulic pump so I can start the heavy lifting. I have stripped the the head off my engine and it's ready for magnafluxing. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
Hey guys a quick update. I've been waiting for a hydraulic pump for Allis before I dragged my F350 and engine out. In the meantime I've been busy tearing down my hoard of Detroits. I've got Allis back in service and both my 4-53 are off to the hot tank for cleaning and then magnafluxing. When I get the parts back I then take the best head down to have rebuilt. The only good part was the cam, crank and bearings. I'll be using my spare 4-53T block as that one is in great shape. I order my rebuild kit tomorrow morning so I should have that in a week or two.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
Got my blocks and heads back from the hot tank and magnaflux. Now I send the best head out for a rebuild at a Detroit shop in Vancouver. They'll shave the head if need be and then install new guides, injector tubes. I've ordered new valves and springs as well. The spare block now becomes the primary block to build as my original block needs a lot of work to fix. The coolant passages where the seals sit are badly corroded from years of straight water so that's why I'm building my spare block. As for the rest of the parts I've ordered they will be shipped out next week. In the end I decided to buy a performance cam, updated Silver Series pistons that are ceramic coated, NOS T crank. Basically a brand new engine now that is built to the last production standards of the early 90's. Happy times.:)

IMG_8580.JPG

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Looking good. On the spare engine parts, one thing you might think on is build yourself a vat and remove the rust electrically. Just need a vat, some washing soda (not baking soda) or some lye, some iron electrodes (rebar works well), and a battery charger or other dc power source. The process will remove only the rust and no good metal is affected. It will leave a black residue that you can remove with a pressure washer. Then spray some oil on the parts if you don't want them to rust.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
Looking good. On the spare engine parts, one thing you might think on is build yourself a vat and remove the rust electrically. Just need a vat, some washing soda (not baking soda) or some lye, some iron electrodes (rebar works well), and a battery charger or other dc power source. The process will remove only the rust and no good metal is affected. It will leave a black residue that you can remove with a pressure washer. Then spray some oil on the parts if you don't want them to rust.
Thanks Char,

That's a great idea, I might give that a go and see how well I can get them cleaned up. I've done that before on old motorcycle fuel tanks and they turned out really well. If I remember I think I kept them in the solution for a week or two to get them clean. I guess it all depends on the amount of rust to remove.:)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
Here's a quick video I made of the aftermath of my engine failure. I'm really amazed the engine ran as well and lasted 600 miles before it failed.

361 - 380 of 410 Posts