Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Are you going to have any issues with the turbo and AC evaporator occupying the same space? I was in the process of lowering a 93 F350 cab on mine and either the turbo or evaporator would have to go so I put the Ford back together and sold it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Are you going to have any issues with the turbo and AC evaporator occupying the same space? I was in the process of lowering a 93 F350 cab on mine and either the turbo or evaporator would have to go so I put the Ford back together and sold it.
I was going to ask you what happened to that ford you had.:) I thought it was a 99, but 93/99 not much of a change for the AC that I'm aware of. I measured up the cab, the AC evaporator, radiator and firewall and it all looks like it will clear without a cab lift. I will not know for certain until I finish attaching the transmission and doing a cab down fit as this engine is 2" taller due to the jake heads. At this point I need to cut 3" out of the oil pan to clear the cross member. I might have to trim the cross member as well to make it all work. If I do run into trouble with the Turbo, I can cut the exhaust manifold and move the turbo closer to the engine and weld it up.:) After having spent 2 weeks welding up my Allis chalmers engine block, I am now confident that I can customize the Detroit exhaust manifold without any trouble.:)

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Will you be welding some thick lugs onto the transmission adapter plate? 1/4" would be a bit thin to hold the transmission bolts. Wondering about that long spacer between the flywheel an flex plate. Are the bolts going to be that long?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes, I was thinking 1/2" steel tabs welded on and tapped should do the trick, total thread depth will be 3/4", I'll have a better idea once the trans is drilled and fitted to the adapter. I also have to make another 1/4" slip ring that goes inside the housing to lock it as there are no dowel pins used on the #2 housing. This will be fitted and welded after I drill the holes for the #2 housing. For the crank adapter the bolts will be 1" longer than stock to accommodate the crank adapter. Here's a picture of a similar adapter that another 4bt member made to give you an idea of what it looks like. I had several ideas of different adapters, but this one makes the most sense to me.

Adapter.jpg

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
"stock 4-53T that will be getting a natural blower and 7C77"

What, please, is a "natural blower"?

Thanks,

Roy
A natural blower is for the 4-53 naturally aspirated engine, it moves approximately 18% more air at all rpm's. This wakes the engine up a bit more at the lower rpm range to help it work better with the 5R110.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A natural blower is for the 4-53 naturally aspirated engine, it moves approximately 18% more air at all rpm's. This wakes the engine up a bit more at the lower rpm range to help it work better with the 5R110.
Thanks.

Is it is a belt-, or gear-driven blower?

So, you are using it to replace the turbo on the 453T?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks.

Is it is a belt-, or gear-driven blower?

So, you are using it to replace the turbo on the 453T?
It's gear driven and used with the Turbo. Detroits are 2 strokes and have no intake valves, so they rely on scavenge ports that are pressurized by the blower. Without the blower the engine will not run as it can't get any air to the intake ports.:) Here are some pictures of the blower:

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5159.jpg

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Wow. I can hear it now, "that powerstroke sounds a little funny" lol.

Looking forward to this.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's gear driven and used with the Turbo. Detroits are 2 strokes and have no intake valves, so they rely on scavenge ports that are pressurized by the blower. Without the blower the engine will not run as it can't get any air to the intake ports.:) Here are some pictures of the blower:
Copy.

And, there are different blowers used on the NA versus Turbo motors?

Sorry, if this is a momentary hijack.

Roy

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Copy.

And, there are different blowers used on the NA versus Turbo motors?

Sorry, if this is a momentary hijack.

Roy
No problem, yes the natural blowers are a little larger than the turbo blowers. The rotors are about 11/8" longer than the turbo blower giving a 15%-18% gain in air flow over the turbo model. As a last attempt at meeting emissions and fuel economy Detroit came out in the 80's with the Silver series engines that had a bypass blower that would bypass the blower at certain boost values, this save fuel and increased power by 7%. I initially was going to get a bypass blower, but after talking to many a builder they, all said to go with the natural blower and turbo combo as that will give me the best overall performance.:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Small update, I cut and drilled the outer #2 housing adapter out of 1/4" steel and made the inner plate plate as well from 1/4" steel. Both pieces will be welded together, then drilled and tapped for the 5R110, I'll finish it off by locating and reaming the dowel pins.
IMG_5189.jpg
IMG_5190.jpg
IMG_5191.jpg
IMG_5213.jpg
IMG_5210.jpg
IMG_5216.jpg

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Had to true up the chuck jaws? Love the progress.
Thanks, Yes it started out + or - .009 and is now sitting within .001. I pick up the new reduction belt and I'm going to try and get it within .0005. Most torque converter and transmissions are within .005 runout, so I'm going to be well within those requirements.:) I hate vibrations and things flying apart.lol

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Got some progress done to the housing adapter, made a pilot shaft to guide the 5R110 onto the Detroit and then transfer the holes to be drilled and tapped. Got the holes drilled and tapped and fit the adapter plate to the 5R110. All the bolts line up nicely, so the next step is to again dial the trans to the housing one last time and drill the dowel pins and that finishes the adapter plate. I could probably get away without this extra step, but I want to get the trans to .002" if I can. I finally got my lathe belt after 3 weeks of screwing around trying to find the right belt, so I can now start on the flywheel adapter when this plate is finished. Here's some pictures:

Attachments

21 - 40 of 391 Posts