Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

381 - 400 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Keep in mind...it is a line-of-sight process. Not for rust tucked away in nooks and crannies.

Some also feel there are hydrogen embrittlement concerns.

Thanks, that's a great article. The blocks has already been through the acid bath at the machine shop and are pretty clean. I've got a couple more engines to build in future, so I'll use it on those and see how clean they get.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
That is correct. If the electrode can't see the rust it won't remove it. The time involved is pretty much dependent on the amount of dc power your have available. On small parts a small battery charge does ok. I've seen guys do entire truck frames but they were using a dc welder as the power source. One very serious caution is to never use stainless for the electrodes. That releases co-valent chrome into the solution which is very nasty stuff. Super deadly and cancer causing. The pollution guys would have to take your property, dig up all the soil and bury it in a special place so it doesn't get spread into the environment. The fine for doing that could be mind boggling. Just plain iron or steel electrodes are safe. You can even dump that solution in your yard and there's no harm done. Don't put it near acid loving plants. They won't like it.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Not to mention the fact that removing the rust does nothing to mitigate the machined surface pitting, or erosion, that's caused by the corrosion in the first place.

Spray the spare block down with boiled linseed oil and make it into a coffee table.

Progress is exciting!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've used the electric/washing soda trick. It works, but only for line of sight stuff, and I didn't like leaving a battery charger plugged in for weeks on end. A few weeks ago I mixed a molasses/water solution in a trash can to try that for rust removal on some exhaust manifolds and turbine housings. It worked really well, so I'd recommend you try that instead.

I used a 7:1 mixture and used a small aquarium pump to inject air into it to keep it from fermenting and smelling up the shop.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
Happy times, my 4-53T care package arrived today as well as the rebuilt head. I also have some parts waiting for pickup in Danville and with the border closed I'll just have to wait until it re-opens.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
I got a couple of hours out at the shop yesterday and finished cleaning up the block for reassembly. Although it was hot tanked, there was still some scaling rust in the airbox that needed to be cleaned out. It's now nice and clean ready for new cam bearings and liners.:)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
Quick video of my 4-53T progress, still waiting for all the parts to arrive. After inspecting, measuring the crank and cam, I decided to replace both with new. My crank needed to be magnafluxed and ground .10 under and it was the basically the same price to replace it with a new crank. The Camshaft I bought is a new high lift cam with a custom grind to give the engine better airflow. For the pistons I upgraded to the 2 piece crosshead piston and sent those out to have a ceramic coating applied. I now have the engine I should have built 11 years ago.lol

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
If properly done, those coatings can be a big benefit. A company here in the US called Polymer Dynamics Inc or PolyDyn has gained a lot of attention from the diesel crowd. They have different coatings for bearings, piston skirts, and piston crowns. Also do ceramic coatings on parts like exhaust manifolds and turbo housings. That's another area where you can increase the efficiency of your turbo system. That's a spot where you want to keep the heat inside because that's the energy that drives the turbo. Also looks neat to have those parts coated. It just isn't cheap. Here's a photo of member Ryanroo's twins on his 6bt that has all the parts ceramic coated.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Quick update, last of my parts arrive yesterday. I had to re-order the parts that are waiting in Danville because of the border closures. I start this weekend building the engine back up again. In the meantime I've mounted the engine on an engine stand and cleaned out the oil galleries to make sure they were nice and clean.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Since you've got everything all cleaned up, are you going to paint before assembly. Be nice to mask off unpainted areas and get paint on the bare areas. Can always touch up any scrapes or scratches but this would get some of those hard to reach areas.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
Since you've got everything all cleaned up, are you going to paint before assembly. Be nice to mask off unpainted areas and get paint on the bare areas. Can always touch up any scrapes or scratches but this would get some of those hard to reach areas.
I'm going to assemble the long block minus accessories and then paint. All the accessories are already painted, so I don't have to paint them again.:)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
I started building up the engine this weekend. I replaced the cam bearings, installed the crank and assembled four pistons and rods today.
Tube Video:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
Had a good weekend on my Detroit, I finished installing the cam bearings and loading a piston in the liner. I had to order more piston pin retainers as I screwed some up. I get them this week, so I should be able to finish the piston and liners next weekend. Happy times.:)

Attachments

381 - 400 of 410 Posts