Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

421 - 440 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
any updates?

was scrolling fb and saw a drive.com story on your truck, very cool. the comments from non enthusiasts were quite entertaining

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
any updates?

was scrolling fb and saw a drive.com story on your truck, very cool. the comments from non enthusiasts were quite entertaining
I bet, I haven't looked at the comments, but I should go have a look.:)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
any updates?

Lol, I just read the comments, hilarious.:) Most of the people have no Idea what a 6.4 F350 fuel economy is lol.:) The comment sections always turn into a shit fight.lol

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
S
any updates?

Sorry missed the update question. The Detroit 4-53T has been running great and just did a 4000 mile inspection and tune up. I really wanted to address my egt's that were 1050. So I retarded the injector timing from 1.46" to 1.484". I also adjusted the fuel modulator so there is no smoke on start and acceleration at low boost. I sealed up my cold air intake as there were some gaps allowing hot air in. After that the max egt's are now 945 and I picked up a little more power. Engine runs awesome and pulls hard right down to 1600 rpm. Just finished a 13 hr towing trip and it ran perfect. Here's some tube videos.:)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
The article mentioned a "custom crankshaft" whats that all about?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
He's mistaken the custom ground camshaft with the new crankshaft. The camshaft is a high lift camshaft that's reground to give better performance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks good A310.. You should update 4btswaps more often.. I don't do the fb thing. I'd love to get one of these old motors... but it may be awhile.

Cj

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone.:) Detroit 4-53TIB cold start.:)

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
I haven't seen this thread before and I have some questions. I realize you probably answered some of these in the past but without digging thru the whole thread, would you please humor me?

First; How many HP does that engine have? At what RPM?
How much does it weigh?
What Trans are you using?(Ford SR110) What Final Drive Gearing?
What RPM is Cruising at Freeway Speeds 65-70? Will it go faster?

I can't really see the Tach in your video hence these questions.

My Jeep is a 4BT with TH400 US Gear OD and 4.10 gears with 37" tires. Freeway for me is 2100 at 65 and 2200 at 70 which is about all the faster I want to drive this Jeep. I'm at 18-19 mpg on the freeway.

I only have 2300 miles on my build and am still learning to drive it, but I have found out that pushing it a little harder than I originally thought, makes it operate better. Mine takes a good 20-30 minutes to fully warm up the drivetrain to where the tranny shifts correctly. The OP is about 75 psi at start up and settles to 50 psi when at temp.

I live in CA so all the white stuff you have is not an issue, but as the temp is dropping here (40-50F) it gets a little harder to start when it is cold. I have a block heater but haven't used it yet. Mine runs at just shy of 180F when at Op Temp.

Gotta tell you that anyone who doesn't love the sound of a Jimmy 2 stroke,,, has no soul!

Great Piece of Machinery. !!!

Randy

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #436
Hi Randy,

I've got this engine tuned to about 200-210 and somewhere near 450 FTLBS of torque. Max HP is at 2500 rpm and torque at 1600.:) I converted it to a Silver Series with a performance cam, bypass blower, compound turbos, and 7A77 injectors. Truck weighs in at 9200 lbs and is attached to the Ford 5R110 with .71 overdrive and 3.73 gears. Cruises 70 [email protected] rpm and the fastest I've gone is 90 mph. Get 18 mpg hwy, 13 city. The 4BT is a great engine, I have a fair amount of time on the 6BT as I owned one for 15 years before it sadly got totaled last winter. One of my favorite engines.:) Merry Christmas.

Harling

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
Hi Randy,

I've got this engine tuned to about 200-210 and somewhere near 450 FTLBS of torque. Max HP is at 2500 rpm and torque at 1600.:) I converted it to a Silver Series with a performance cam, bypass blower, compound turbos, and 7A77 injectors. Truck weighs in at 9200 lbs and is attached to the Ford 5R110 with .71 overdrive and 3.73 gears. Cruises 70 [email protected] rpm and the fastest I've gone is 90 mph. Get 18 mpg hwy, 13 city. The 4BT is a great engine, I have a fair amount of time on the 6BT as I owned one for 15 years before it sadly got totaled last winter. One of my favorite engines.:) Merry Christmas.

Harling
Thanks for the reply. So does it have the 4 valve head? I thought that was part of Silver Series? I have limited Detroit Diesel knowledge.
It appears that most diesels are happiest operating in the 2000 rpm range. We are running 75-80 mph on the Freeways down here and my VW Touareg 3.0L Diesel is running 2000 at 75 mph. Getting 26-28mpg . The Jeep with 4.10's and my OD only being 22% I had to make up for it with massive "Mexican Overdrive" IE: 37" tires. All my numbers were based on the numbers of my 95 Dodge Dually, and turned out to mirror that almost word for word. My engine was a Bread Truck Motor (CPL858) and is set up at 105HP/275 FTLB. I was lucky and got a motor that was a Cummins Recon with 82K on it. It is tight and runs great, no oil use, but I would love a turbo that Whistles like yours does. Maybe down the road. Like yours it should last forever in both these light duty applications.

Great piece of machinery you created! Should return alot of satisfaction for many years to come.

Randy

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #438
Thanks for the reply. So does it have the 4 valve head? I thought that was part of Silver Series? I have limited Detroit Diesel knowledge.
It appears that most diesels are happiest operating in the 2000 rpm range. We are running 75-80 mph on the Freeways down here and my VW Touareg 3.0L Diesel is running 2000 at 75 mph. Getting 26-28mpg . The Jeep with 4.10's and my OD only being 22% I had to make up for it with massive "Mexican Overdrive" IE: 37" tires. All my numbers were based on the numbers of my 95 Dodge Dually, and turned out to mirror that almost word for word. My engine was a Bread Truck Motor (CPL858) and is set up at 105HP/275 FTLB. I was lucky and got a motor that was a Cummins Recon with 82K on it. It is tight and runs great, no oil use, but I would love a turbo that Whistles like yours does. Maybe down the road. Like yours it should last forever in both these light duty applications.

Great piece of machinery you created! Should return alot of satisfaction for many years to come.

Randy
Thanks, it sure is a pleasure to drive. Yes it has the 4 valve head and to make it running a Borgwarner K27 and K31 to help with performance. In the future I'll upgrade to either larger injectors or add propane. I'm build a 3-53T as a test engine to run an Ingersoll Rand 375 cfm compressor and will be running propane on that to see how it responds. If it's a success then I'll put it on my 4-53T as well. I have lots of room to grow more power, so I'll take it in small upgrades. I have the airflow to easily go to 300HP, but will stop at 250HP and call it good.:)

Harling

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
I'd say you have lots of room for more power,

But you don't have more room in your engine compartment for even a 1lb Propane Bottle. :>)

Randy

Reactions: A310

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
Little update.:) The Detroit is running great with 7500 miles and still tuning the 5R110. I make small adjustments on the tune then drive for a month to see how it holds up. I've solved the 3-5 flare and still get a small flare 2-3 in full throttle. I pulled the trans filter to have a look as I've really beat the trans with missed shift, hard shifts and the bad flares it's had.:). It's very clean with no metal or clutch material.:) So I'll focus my efforts on 2-3 now and get that sorted.:) Changed out the water pump belts and need a fix for that as my serpentine tensioner is too strong for the V belts and wearing them out. I'll remove the tensioner and see if I can half the tension and that should be the fix. Added a oil pan heater, so oil is now in the 70's instead of the 20's in the mornings. This gets rid of the 3-5 minute idling before I drive away.

The shadows on the bottom are from the magnets, so pretty awesome.:)

421 - 440 of 463 Posts