Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

441 - 460 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice. Glad things are still going well. Hoping to get my 6r80 behind my 4bt soon and start on the hp tuners tuning of it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
Nice. Glad things are still going well. Hoping to get my 6r80 behind my 4bt soon and start on the hp tuners tuning of it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Very nice, You'll love HpTuners.:) Let us know how it works out.:)

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
I was curious does this dyno require a large water reservoir? The machine shop next to my house had an engine dyno for testing racing engines. They had a large underground water tank of around 1000 gallons for that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
I was curious does this dyno require a large water reservoir? The machine shop next to my house had an engine dyno for testing racing engines. They had a large underground water tank of around 1000 gallons for that.
Yes, needs a minimum of 325 gallons to operate. So will be using a 325 gallon water tote for that.:) To supply the feed water I have an electric water pump.:)

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
The guys at the machine shop bought an old 1.5 ton fuel oil tank body and buried it in the ground to use as their reservoir.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
The guys at the machine shop bought an old 1.5 ton fuel oil tank body and buried it in the ground to use as their reservoir.
Nice, if I had my own property I would do the same. I'm in a Strada Corp, so they don't like me digging up the asphalt.:) I think I'll end up stacking 2 totes and that should work well.:)

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
When I was young I used to go to that shop and watch them rebuild engines. They did everything from lawn mower engines to NASCAR. They were testing a racing engine on the dyno one day when it blew. The guy who owned it was standing there and commented that it was better to blow there than on the track. After all, it was only $100,000. That was when I thought $10 was big money. LOL.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
Project propane.:) Installed a DIY propane injection system to test if propane works well as a power add for the 4-53T. It's a simple system using a barbeque bottle, acetylene regulator, 12 volt solenoid and a 7 psi pressure switch. I started at .5 psi and am now at 1 psi and noticing added power at 1 psi. Been running the system for 4 days now and will slowly add more propane as the weeks pass. Baby steps.:)

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Not sure you have room for much more under that hood. LOL. Propane seems to be sort of popular on Detroit diesels. Have been seeing a good many motorhomes and buses adding that which are running engines like the 6-71 and up to the 8V-92.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Back in the day there was a propane install on a diesel rig on one of those saturday morning TV shows during powerblock TV. Always wondered how much of an improvement there would be on a 4BT.

I really like how you are doing it draw-through. Keeps the propane line pressures way lower.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #454
Back in the day there was a propane install on a diesel rig on one of those saturday morning TV shows during powerblock TV. Always wondered how much of an improvement there would be on a 4BT.

I really like how you are doing it draw-through. Keeps the propane line pressures way lower.
You don't see it offered anymore, but like you said in the day they were everywhere.:) I'm running 1 psi now and notice a small increase and will slowly add more in time.:) My goal is a 40-50 HP increase.:)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
Might watch this video by Bus Grease Money where they tested without and with propane. Pretty significant improvement.
I saw that, pretty nice indeed. I spoke to the owner of the bus and he loves it.:)

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
The one thing about propane it's not something you use constant but only when you need that extra power. Bus Grease Monkey is currently working on an 8V-92T where 4 cylinders on one side of the engine were damaged. The cause has turned out to be a defective $30 thermostat which cause that side to overheat. Going to be a very expensive repair on an engine with only about 100,000 miles on it. The other 4 cylinders looked like they were brand new so they won't be touched.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
True, I saw that video, pretty rare failure. Detroits don't like getting hot.:)

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Yeah, that one had 2 cracked liners and all the pistons and liners were pretty scored. The bad thing was there wasn't any indication on the dash instruments about a heat issue. I'm not that well versed in Detroits. Does the V8 have 2 thermostats, one for each bank?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Yeah, that one had 2 cracked liners and all the pistons and liners were pretty scored. The bad thing was there wasn't any indication on the dash instruments about a heat issue. I'm not that well versed in Detroits. Does the V8 have 2 thermostats, one for each bank?
Yes, all the V series have this set up. I've never heard of this happening before, but would be adding two temp gauges if I were he.:)

441 - 460 of 463 Posts