Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 60 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
A310, looking great. I love the use of the pilot shaft to get Crankshaft CL inline with input shaft CL. Really nice work! Thanks for the update, I see that Alice is coming in handy for this project in many ways, old BD153 working to lift up other diesels, pretty cool!

Cheers,

Luke

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
A310, looking great. I love the use of the pilot shaft to get Crankshaft CL inline with input shaft CL. Really nice work! Thanks for the update, I see that Alice is coming in handy for this project in many ways, old BD153 working to lift up other diesels, pretty cool!

Cheers,

Luke
Thanks Luke,

Yes Allis is very handy indeed, makes the job of lifting very easy.:) I got the idea of using the pilot shaft from another person using this transmission on an isuzu diesel. I just started cutting the measured center whole to dial in both the #2 flywheel to the 5R110 one last time to make certain I've got it right. Can't wait to finish this whole as cutting 1/2 steel plate is no small task. I'm now kicking myself for cheaping out on a good used milling machine that I passed up.

Cheers

Harling

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Got my adapter plate finished, been slowly working away at it as time permits. I found another 5R110 on a government auction and now have a good used spare in case I ever need one in the future. I dialed in the 5R110 and drilled the dowel pins and opened up the hole to fit the flexplate. As a final fit I used the pilot shaft I had made to confirm I have everything lined up. The transmission slid in like a glove, so very happy with the results. I ended up getting the runout within +/- .002 with many hours of work, but was worth the effort. I had to shave 3 sections on the transmission so it would fit the #2 bolt pattern and used a dremel for that. Next is the crank adapter, the first one as a template out of 6061 Aluminum and the the final piece out of 4130. Once I've finished turning and drilling the 4130, I'll send it off to have it hardened. Here's some pictures of the adapter.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
So not going to try and push that 4-53 up? Couple of pulling trucks have them cranking out over 400-500whp with silly amounts of torque. My original plan was a 3-53T in my ranger, but they are harder and harder to find in good shape. Hope to see this one done soon.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So not going to try and push that 4-53 up? Couple of pulling trucks have them cranking out over 400-500whp with silly amounts of torque. My original plan was a 3-53T in my ranger, but they are harder and harder to find in good shape. Hope to see this one done soon.
Yes I'm going to push it up to around 230-250 hp. I'll be replacing the turbo blower with a natural, 7A77 injectors, intercooler and raising the rpm to 2850. This should be enough to keep the F350 rolling down the road nicely. I had the 6.4 putting out 420 hp, but I found it was too much power and was a beast pulling the mountain hills in winter with slippery roads. So 230-250 should be a happy medium for good traction and longevity for the Detroit.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes I'm going to push it up to around 230-250 hp. I'll be replacing the turbo blower with a natural, 7A77 injectors, intercooler and raising the rpm to 2850. This should be enough to keep the F350 rolling down the road nicely. I had the 6.4 putting out 420 hp, but I found it was too much power and was a beast pulling the mountain hills in winter with slippery roads. So 230-250 should be a happy medium for good traction and longevity for the Detroit.:)
4-53T make a pretty nice torque curve so you'll enjoy it I'm sure. 230-250hp should be super reliable too.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
4-53T make a pretty nice torque curve so you'll enjoy it I'm sure. 230-250hp should be super reliable too.
True, I was thinking of twin turbo's and 9A90 injectors, but until I find a spare engine I'll leave it alone.:) I have heard of guys running as high as 140's but at that amount of fuel the cranks tend to break.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
This might be better in the transmission section, but as it's part of this build I thought I'd post it here. With this build I'm trying to build my truck so it's economical and reliable, so I started hunting down some spare transmissions so that if I ever have one fail I can have one on standby reading to go. I found one on a government auction that was a low mileage take out and well maintained, so I bid on it and won. I also found one on Craigslist 30 min away from me and bought that one as well, so I now have 2 spares. Here's some pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Always good to have spare parts. Don't really know how that transmission will react using a non computer diesel. In years past I had read they wouldn't hold up, but thing change with time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Always good to have spare parts. Don't really know how that transmission will react using a non computer diesel. In years past I had read they wouldn't hold up, but thing change with time.
Very true, up until 5 years ago no one had any good controllers for this trans or tuning for the oem TCM. Apparently that's all changed now, so I'm going to give it a go as the truck already had the 5R110 and parts I needed to make it work. I was originally going to use the Allison 1000, but after talking to a few outfits I decided to try my 5R110. If this fails I'll decide if I want to use the Allison 1000 or the ZF6:) Hopefully I don't have to make that choice.:)

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
With a proper controller, I'd think that transmission should do fine. It was designed around the diesels. Actually, an Allison 1000 probably isn't any stronger if as strong. One of the good Allisons is the 3060 which came in medium duty trucks. Of course it wasn't 4x4.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
With a proper controller, I'd think that transmission should do fine. It was designed around the diesels. Actually, an Allison 1000 probably isn't any stronger if as strong. One of the good Allisons is the 3060 which came in medium duty trucks. Of course it wasn't 4x4.
Yes the 5R110 is more than capable as long as I can tune it right, so we'll see how it turns out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Got a few hours in this week on the crank adapter, with any luck I should be able to test fit it next week. Machining is going smoothly, so I'll order the 4130 bar next week as it will take a few days to arrive. I had my doubts about drilling the crank adapter on my drill press, but after spending 2-3 hours trueing it up I was able to get the accuracy I wanted. I'm excited to get the final piece finished so I can start working on the oil pan and fitting the engine in the frame. Here's some pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agree with Char, very nice work.

You have access to some very nice equipment, and you are very skilled in using it. Really like this build

-6 speed is where it's at! Detroits love livin on redline!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Got some more progress on the crank adapter this week. I got slowed down by 2 days as my 1967 Honda Super Hawk finally showed up. It hasn't run in over 30 years, so it took me some time to get her back running again.:) I'm starting to find the limitations on my drill press after drilling 1 1/16 holes in the adapter. It really needs to be taken apart and have new bushings installed as it's starting to chatter with the bigger bits. I was able to fit the adapter up, but still need to drill and tap the holes for the crank adapter from the 6.4. I went to order the 4130 from the metal store today and they can't get the 5" stock? So I'll hunt around saturday and see if I can find a supplier, if not I might have to order it in the US and go down and pick it up. So far, so good on prototype #1.:) I do have to make some design changes to the final piece, but that's to be expected.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 390 Posts