Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

81 - 100 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I think that was Lawrence in his 353T powered Toyota that had the serpentine setup if I remember correctly. I followed all the builds in the day as I had started my build around the same time. I had to put mine on hold due to family as well but have finally been able to start back at it 8-9 years later. ARAMP1's build sure is nice and I hope he starts it up again.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
ARAMP1 hasn't posted for a few years, but that is understandable. He was flying for Fedex plus having an expanding family. There are things that get priority over our toys. The boys must be 8 by now. I believe you're right about the 353T. Some things stick in my memory but can't quite remember where. Is he on the forum under ShaferDiesel? Found his write up but all the photos of the pulleys had disappeared. He even cast some of his own pulleys and machined them.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
excellent work so far man I love this build! if I may make a suggestion … you're going to absolutely want to be able to get the valve cover off without raising the cab. Since I see you've already done a great job extending the valve cover i'd suggest rerouting the blower pipe around the front of the engine (might have to 90 the water outlet too), scrapping that breather assy and moving the oil fill up to the front of the cover.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
ARAMP1 hasn't posted for a few years, but that is understandable. He was flying for Fedex plus having an expanding family. There are things that get priority over our toys. The boys must be 8 by now. I believe you're right about the 353T. Some things stick in my memory but can't quite remember where. Is he on the forum under ShaferDiesel? Found his write up but all the photos of the pulleys had disappeared. He even cast some of his own pulleys and machined them.
Yes that's the same guy and your right he did build the entire front of his 353 with serpentine pulleys. I was hoping to have a look at his work, but as you mentioned they've all gone.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
excellent work so far man I love this build! if I may make a suggestion … you're going to absolutely want to be able to get the valve cover off without raising the cab. Since I see you've already done a great job extending the valve cover i'd suggest rerouting the blower pipe around the front of the engine (might have to 90 the water outlet too), scrapping that breather assy and moving the oil fill up to the front of the cover.
Thanks Wayne. It's going to be aftercooled, so there will not be a cross over pipe. I dropped the engine another 1" and will massage the cowl now a little to get another 1/2" so it should fit. I got the hood to close, so it's getting there. I'm going to build a riser and change the breather and fill locations as well.:)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Thanks guys, working on the engine mounts as we speak. I've been racking my brain on the best way to mount this engine so I can use the 6.4 harmonic balancer and run the serpentine belts. If I use the front mounts I can't use the harmonic balancer, so I'm going to mount them on the sides of the block and see how that works. I've moved the engine back so I can use all the accessories from the 6.4 including the clutch fan. In total I had to move the transmission back 5" from it's 6.4 position to make everything work. I've lowered the engine down some more and have about 1/4"-3/8" clearance the oil pan and now have to cut some more out of the crossmember to get the starter to clear. I now have the same transmission angle I had on the 6.4, so I should have a smooth driveline. Here's it's final resting place and the mounting begins.:) That is a 6BT starter next to my Detroit as I size comparison.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Quick update, got the drivers side engine mount made and fitted, I used an old Cummins 6bt pad I had laying around. I've ordered new one as these are worn and cracked, but work well as templates. I made the mount from scrap I have laying around the shop so the price is right.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
You're flying now!
Thanks, I'll be slowing down a bit when I get to making the serpentine pulleys as they'll need quite a lot of machining for everything to work together. I haven't striped the 6.4 yet, but that's coming soon as I'm itching to get going on that job.:) Should be a lot of fun.:) It will be interesting to see what codes come up when I fire the Detroit up for first time with everything connected to the ECM.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Made a parts run on Saturday and picked up a 4-53 natural blower, 3-53T Silver bypass blower and a host of seals, injectors. etc. Blower was rebuilt so I now don't have to rebuild the one I have with the broken rotor.:) The guy was great, 40 years of working on Detroit's for Cullens, so was great chatting with him.

IMG_5925.jpg

Turbo blower on the left and natural on the right
IMG_5926.jpg

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Finished the passenger mount this week, I made this one a little stronger than the drivers side as it's offset further back and carries more load. It's sitting on the mounts now, and looks pretty good, it will sit about 1/8" lower than it is now as the old pads are all stretched. Now it's onto the rear transmission crossmember and slide that back 5" and then see how the engine sits. I might see another 1/8" there as well as I haven't adjusted for mount compression on the trans either.:)
IMG_5965.jpg IMG_5973.jpg IMG_5975 (1).jpg IMG_5976.jpg IMG_5977.jpg IMG_5978.jpg IMG_5982.jpg

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Will you have room for valve covers? :lol:
Yes, once I finish the rear trans mount, I'll massage the cab cowl so there is room for the valve cover.:) I'll have to work on the valve cover as well as there's about 1/4" I can get back. So with any luck once I make a riser and shorten the valve cover I can slide it out without rising the cab.:)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Got the trans mount finished today, all in all it went pretty quick. I just have to tidy up the fuel lines, exhaust hanger and drill 2 more holes to mount the skid plate and it's finished. Next is stripping the accessories off the 6.4 and mounting them on the Detroit, it will certainly look strange with that huge fan and all the gear.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Making progress there. Guess you get to shorten the rear drive shaft and lengthen the front one. Have you started working on a serpentine pulley system?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Making progress there. Guess you get to shorten the rear drive shaft and lengthen the front one. Have you started working on a serpentine pulley system?
Yes I have to adjust the lengths 5" and started taking the accessories off the 6.4 today. Planning on using the 6.4 harmonic balance if I can balance and machine it to fit the Detroit, if it won't work I'll have to machine something from scratch.:)

IMG_6020.jpg

IMG_6021.jpg

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Finished stripping the 6.4 today and had a good look at the harmonic balancer off it. Looks like I got a break as it's not going to require that much machining to make it work on my Detroit pulley hub. To make the 6.4 balancer neutrally balanced for the Detroit I have to fill the holes with metal until it's balanced. I'll do this by welding in 3/8" pieces I have left over until it's balanced, then turn it to fit my Detroit hub.:) I also figured out where the accessories are going to go, so with any luck I shouldn't run into too many difficulties.

IMG_6027.jpg IMG_6023.jpg IMG_6022.jpg IMG_6026.jpg

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Got the harmonic balancer welded up today, made six 3/8" pieces to weld into the empty spaces. Started to true up my chuck so I can turn the Detroit hub to fit the 6.4 balancer. Once turned, then I can drill the balancer to bolt up to the hub and then balance the whole unit.

IMG_6029.jpg IMG_6030.jpg IMG_6033.jpg

81 - 100 of 410 Posts