Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old military proto-type vehicle. I bought it years ago as a lawn ornament. But recently, I was doing some exploratory work on it to see if I could make it go. I read several online articles about it. I believe it should be a 6.2 L Detroit. Because of its experimental nature, nothing is for sure. Could any of you confirm that is what I have from this pic?

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Also, any info would be appreciated. Specifically, is this a machical diesel? It looks like the injection pump is driven off the timing chain. This vehicle is 24 Volt. Do they have 12 volt starters for this engine? (I would like to convert it) If the hour meter is correct, it only has 500 hours on it. The engine turns over freely, but it wouldn’t start with starter fluid. It’s been sitting for 30 years or more. Do you think it has a chance of starting?

Pic of truck.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
13,457 Posts
The engine could be a 6.2 or a 6.5. Same engine was used in the GM pickup trucks and those would have been 12V. Military stuff is usually 24V. If you wanted to convert it to 12V you'd also have to replace the alternator and possibly some of the electronic controls on the engine. Nothing wrong with 24V. The engine is mechanical. Not a real power house but good enough for its intended use. The 6.2 was produced from 1982-1993 and the 6.5 from 1992-2001. Most of the 6.5's are turbocharged. Not sure what power yours has. The domestic versions 6.2 started out at 130 HP and end at 160 HP. The military version used in the HMMWV was 185 HP so yours may be that one. You might want to restore that creature and keep it all original.

· Registered
593 Posts
First step is to find out, for sure, what you've got.

As far as starting...there are plenty of Diesel-been-setting-for-long-time Youtube videos and internet threads

For instance:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts