Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm thinking about swapping a 6v53 into my 93 Chevy heavy half ton with sportside bed, I imagine the truck weighs somewhere around 5,000 pounds. I browsed another thread on here. I had decided on the Spicer ESO66-7B but seeing as I'm not sure if it's four wheel drive I don't know that it'd be my first choice as I'm looking for a four wheel drive project. I'm thinking that the top speed for this truck would be somewhere around 80 mph as that's the highest top speed in my state, assuming I can find a way to mount one would I be better with an early G56 transmission out of a Dodge truck or should I go with the Spicer and mount a remote transfer case? I already know I'll need to change the springs on the truck because the v53 is a lot heavier than the tbi 350 and even the 6.5 Detroit, I'd be fine with changing the axles to something like a full float 14 bolt so I can have both the proper gears and a locker instead of the open diff of the semi-float 14 bolt. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It seem the first step is to check with your state DMV. Many states have issues with changing fuel type and/or older motors going onto newer trucks.

What do you think your 6V53 weighs? I am seeing numbers like 1,700 pounds.

Roy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seem the first step is to check with your state DMV. Many states have issues with changing fuel type and/or older motors going onto newer trucks.

What do you think your 6V53 weighs? I am seeing numbers like 1,700 pounds.

Roy
1,700 pounds seems about right for weight. I'm less concerned here with the legality and can I do it, I'll do my due diligence and look into whether or not the state allows it

·
Registered
110 Posts
A rule of thumb: You will want to have cruising speed (60-65 mph) at maximum torque which is around 1800 rpms. 3.55 gears with an overdrive will get you close!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was aiming at with this, a cruising speed at around 65 with the ability to go faster if needed since in Utah the vast majority of the freeways are around 75. I think I'll go with an NV5600 since this truck should be lighter than the Dodge trucks it came in, plus the specific unit I have my eye on is mentioned as being for "extreme duty use", whatever that means
A rule of thumb: You will want to have cruising speed (60-65 mph) at maximum torque which is around 1800 rpms. 3.55 gears with an overdrive will get you close!

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
If you update your axles your truck may end up heavier than the Dodge. Your engine is about 600 lbs heavier than a 5.9 Cummins. 3/4 ton axles weigh a lot more than half ton and tires and wheels also get heavier. One question would be if the half ton frame is strong enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you update your axles your truck may end up heavier than the Dodge. Your engine is about 600 lbs heavier than a 5.9 Cummins. 3/4 ton axles weigh a lot more than half ton and tires and wheels also get heavier. One question would be if the half ton frame is strong enough.
The reason I'm considering the update to the axles is the truck currently has a semi float 14 bolt in the back and an 8.25" front differential, the 8.25" would break at the first whiff of hard offroad use, the sf14 may live longer but it wouldn't be by much, and then there's the issue of it being somewhat oddball and so I'm unsure if I could regear the front and rear to what's needed

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know you have the half ton, but you might be money ahead to look around for a 1 ton (any brand) that has good axles and a blown engine. Starting with the right foundation might make the project a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Might be well to start with a 3/4 truck to start with, come with D-60 up front already, heavier springs, etc.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Why? Sounded like a cool project and you may be close enough to me to come and see (y). I'm in Salt Lake county.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why? Sounded like a cool project and you may be close enough to me to come and see (y). I'm in Salt Lake county.
Ah, okay. When I start this project I'll be outside of the Timber Lakes area, it'll definitely be a fun project when finished

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two or three questions have came up today about this project. How does the shutdown solenoid mount on the 6v53, is it a two wire or three wire solenoid, and what spring rate will I need for the front of this truck? I'm thinking that I'll set it up with a 14 bolt front axle because of the issues with independent front suspension I've ran into in my thinking, a 14 bolt rear axle, both with 3.21 gears, and 35 inch tires. I know I'll need to lift the truck as a result of the larger tires, however I'm unsure if I should go with leaf springs in the front or should go a multi-link and coilover setup.m

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, good to know then about the solenoid. Does anyone know of a bellhousing that would allow me to mount a 5600 behind the 6v53? I found a kit that has a custom SAE 2 bellhousing for an NV4500, are the mounting patterns close enough to work or would I need something custom?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you Going to make up a 14 bolt with 4wd spindles, etc., for the front end?

Ed in CO.
I'm going to buy one off of East Coast Gear Supply, if I had to try to fabricate one I'd instead go with a Dana 60

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
On your question about the NV5600, its bolts pattern should fit a NV4500 bellhousing. Guys on some of the Dodge forums have swapped them and had to use a different clutch. Main difference is the larger input shaft on the NV5600, Of course you'll have to work out the pilot bearing to match the transmission for the SAE flywheel.

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
12 Posts
My understanding is that the NV5600 bellhousing is integrated into the transmission body, and cannot be easily removed. it is true the bellhousing bolting mounts up to a 5.9L, but I do not know of a 5.9L bellhousing to a SAE round adapter(assuming your engine has a round SAE housing). I have a 4-53T with a SAE2 housing running a QuickDraw Brand SAE2 to NV4500 adapter since I cannot get the NV5600 to bolt up without making some unique transmission housing. The NV4500 has a 4 bolt pattern to hold the trans body to the bellhousing itself, that is not the case with the NV5600 per my understanding, but I could be wrong.

you can put the NV5600 input shaft in a NV4500 transmission if you wish, but unless you are doing crazy things the NV4500 1 1/8" input shaft works. Char1355 is right you need to do some unique work with the flywheel to fit both a clutch to fit the 10 spline 1 1/8"(or 1 1/4) input shaft and pilot bearing. I am having my SAE 2 flywheel machined to bolt up a stock dodge clutch but havent worked out the pilot bearing yet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts