Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My understanding is that the NV5600 bellhousing is integrated into the transmission body, and cannot be easily removed. it is true the bellhousing bolting mounts up to a 5.9L, but I do not know of a 5.9L bellhousing to a SAE round adapter(assuming your engine has a round SAE housing). I have a 4-53T with a SAE2 housing running a QuickDraw Brand SAE2 to NV4500 adapter since I cannot get the NV5600 to bolt up without making some unique transmission housing. The NV4500 has a 4 bolt pattern to hold the trans body to the bellhousing itself, that is not the case with the NV5600 per my understanding, but I could be wrong.

you can put the NV5600 input shaft in a NV4500 transmission if you wish, but unless you are doing crazy things the NV4500 1 1/8" input shaft works. Char1355 is right you need to do some unique work with the flywheel to fit both a clutch to fit the 10 spline 1 1/8"(or 1 1/4) input shaft and pilot bearing. I am having my SAE 2 flywheel machined to bolt up a stock dodge clutch but havent worked out the pilot bearing yet.
How well does the 4500 hold up behind the 4-53T? The reason I decided on the 5600 is the extra gear and the higher rating over the 4500, don't know it off hand but I know it is higher for the 5600, although if it holds up well I'd be willing to adjust the setup

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
12 Posts
good question, I havent finished my build but per what I see about engine specs, NV4500 has a input torque max of 460lb-ft so its undersized for your 6V53, I see torque of up to 600ft-lbs(pending on configuration). sorry for any confusion about using the NV4500, but wanted to share the findings I have. In retrospect, if I were to do things again, I would be like Grigg and find a Road Ranger OD 10 speed, run a divorced transfer case. the RR and the NV4500 have almost the same OD(I think RR is like 0.78:1 and NV4500 is 0.73:1). Even the NV5600 seems questionable if you plan to use max torque on the 6V53, any idea what you may be doing with the truck to ensure you have a sufficiently sized transmission?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
good question, I havent finished my build but per what I see about engine specs, NV4500 has a input torque max of 460lb-ft so its undersized for your 6V53, I see torque of up to 600ft-lbs(pending on configuration). sorry for any confusion about using the NV4500, but wanted to share the findings I have. In retrospect, if I were to do things again, I would be like Grigg and find a Road Ranger OD 10 speed, run a divorced transfer case. the RR and the NV4500 have almost the same OD(I think RR is like 0.78:1 and NV4500 is 0.73:1). Even the NV5600 seems questionable if you plan to use max torque on the 6V53, any idea what you may be doing with the truck to ensure you have a sufficiently sized transmission?
I plan on it being a toy and something I can tow with, biggest downside of the sportside bed is you can't fit a lot in the bed. I'll keep my eye open for a medium duty manual transmission that would give me the option of a married t-case but if that's not an option then I'll go ahead and do the divorced case, could give me some more flexibility for the parking brake as well which would be nice

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I would recommend a RR also, many ratios, small air compressor will run it, however, need to run divorced transfer case. There is a gentleman on here has done the machine work to bolt one up. An Eaton 6406/8406 hooks up to a transfer case more easily by a gentleman in Chama, NM.

5600 indeed has a captive clutch housing which would have to be adapted to DD case, they do
come with married transfer cases.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The RR 6610 has a torque input of 660 ft-lbs, overdrive is 0.80 to 1 and with some effort can be mated to a transfer case (I have mine mated to a BW4407 in my F350). The Eaton 6406/8406 has been mated to a transfer case, I haven't seen anything new from the fellow in NM. His website has been down for a while. I have been able to find it in the WayBack Machine (website that captures images of websites) and saved some of the info available onto my own computer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
years ago we had 6V53s in dump trucks, 6 spd auto with 3 spd browne, 180 hp and so loud you couldnt hear yourself think. Find one and listen to it at 2800 rpm for a hr and make up your mind. Those F850s had 1200 # axles but some of that was rock a 1/2 ton would sit on ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The NV5600 has a removable bellhousing just like the NV4500. See photo below.
I know someone who has a South Bend dual disc heavy duty clutch for that NV 5600 transmission that wants to sell it a a discounted price. It is brand new still in the box. Comes complete with clutch discs , flywheel and throw out bearing and associated hardware. If interested call 801-560-8013

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
Char, never saw one like that, so, they come both ways.

Ed in CO.
Ed, I've never seen a NV5600 that didn't have a removable bellhousing. All the Dodge units came that way. The only 6 speeds that I've seen with one piece cases were the ZF6 found in Ford and GM.

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
12 Posts
Ed, I've never seen a NV5600 that didn't have a removable bellhousing. All the Dodge units came that way. The only 6 speeds that I've seen with one piece cases were the ZF6 found in Ford and GM.
Guess what I was referring to was that you couldnt swap the NV5600 bellhousing out. i.e. use the Quick Draw Brand SAE 2 to NV4500 for the NV5600 because although you can remove the bellhousing, the NV5600 bellhousing contains the input shaft bearing and seal: https://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/how-to-get-bell-housing-off-nv5600.159314/

·
Registered
1984 Chevy military M1008/K30.
62 Posts
Hi, I'm thinking about swapping a 6v53 into my 93 Chevy heavy half ton with sportside bed, I imagine the truck weighs somewhere around 5,000 pounds. I browsed another thread on here. I had decided on the Spicer ESO66-7B but seeing as I'm not sure if it's four wheel drive I don't know that it'd be my first choice as I'm looking for a four wheel drive project. I'm thinking that the top speed for this truck would be somewhere around 80 mph as that's the highest top speed in my state, assuming I can find a way to mount one would I be better with an early G56 transmission out of a Dodge truck or should I go with the Spicer and mount a remote transfer case? I already know I'll need to change the springs on the truck because the v53 is a lot heavier than the tbi 350 and even the 6.5 Detroit, I'd be fine with changing the axles to something like a full float 14 bolt so I can have both the proper gears and a locker instead of the open diff of the semi-float 14 bolt. Thanks in advance.
The frame in that truck won't handle a 6V anything, a 4-53T is actually too heavy. You need to find an old K series 73-87 3/4 or preferably a one ton. Hope you don't live in an HOA. LOL

21 - 32 of 32 Posts