Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to 4BT.

Set on doing a 2 stroke detroit diesel engine swap into a chevrolet truck mid 80's

I am able to buy 2 6v92's running condition for $1000. I am looking out for 453t and 6v53t engines too.

Would it be possible (anything is) so would it be realistic or ideal to do that swap or is it best with the smaller engines. Also wondering about what the cheapest trannys are for those engines. And any other tips would be good what would be the best truck to use? Do i have to beef the front end up? Etc anything will help thanks.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The 92 engines are BIG engines.

The detroit engines are heavy mothers so you going to be looking at strengthing the whole front end depending on your project vehicle.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
You live in snow country, go out and hang 3 or 4 snowplows on the front of that chevy and see how it drives. A 6v53 weighs 1600 pounds give or take. (that is 2 snowplows more than a v8 gasser) A 3-53 is the most sensible choice, 4-53 not too bad, 6v53 will give you more headaches than it's worth, any 71 or 92 series won't fit in a street drive-able pick-up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
ok well you see what the guys hear are saying and they know there shit. but..... i say do it just so we can see it done lol. like was said they are to heavy and even a 6v53 is really tight. i wanted to do the same but after talking to the guys here and geting some pics from one guy that is doing it its a no go for me. if the truck neends floors and firewall work then fine. best bet and i hate to say this is a 453t in a 3/4 or one ton. 353 in a half. now i have been looking for a 453t for my truck for about ayear now and no luck. but i am poor and cheap and what one to rebuild so i am really cheap. in my neck of the woods they seem to be about 2500*4000 for a runner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks guys will keep an eye out for a 453t what would be a good transmission for that i see many clarke 5 speeds being used what are those trannys found in?

And i would be getting an older scraper truck just looking for a good frame and decent body would not be to worried about hacking away at the cab lol.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
I'd like to know what kind of front tires that thing has. Are the solid? That engine probably weighs more than the whole truck did. Now everyone gonna want one of those.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
With bolts.............Go back and read the stickies at the start of the forum, cause all your basic questions have been answered in the last 5 years .Scan the various questions and learn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts