Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found a nice motor in a scrapped loader. says 80hp at 2600rpm.

Turbo charged air cooled 3.11litre.

Anyone know much about these engines?

Can they be "turned up" for more horsepower easily etc? What about RPMS>

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went and checked this little guy out. Really clean. Going to prime it up as its been sitting a long time(3 years) and see if we can get her to fire.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Those are the newer small 4cyl. engines. The turbo is probably the size of your fist bolted directly to the intake and exhaust manifolds. They get poo-pooed a little bit because there is only 1 cylinder head and 1 block. Cylinders/jugs are not replaceable per cylinder like the old 912's. So if something goes wrong it usually takes the whole engine out.

I would love to find one of these for a swap. I dont see why (with guages boost/egt) it couldnt be turned up a bit more to say 90-100hp. With a little bit bigger turbo and a CAC I dont think 120-130 is out of the question.

We modified the rack travel a little bit on one at my old job so it would spin up to 3000/3200 in a stationary pump application for those sticky situations.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they seem really well built and a re-builder i know loves them. Best part is i can get rid of the huge heavy radiator in my m715 and replace it with a big ass intercooler and add more fuel/boost without fear of damage as the charge will most likely be at the same charge temp if not cooler. It looks like a baby t25/t28 turbo?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it seems to be in good shape. Time will tell when I fire it up. Anything I should look for that I wouldn't on a liquid cooled engine etc?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question. Does anyone know if these are internally balanced engines? Gotta know for the flywheel etc

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I figured too as I see no weights on this one, but thought I'd ask before I fired it over. Trying to see where the best spot to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge would be so I can see what its doing when I run it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts