Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I bought this Deutz motor that was once used in a votech training setting.
pretty much complete, except it seems to be missing a cover or something from oil filter base.
Cranking oil pressure pushing out the round shaft. I don’t even know what that thing is. It turns about 180 degrees, so it must have a purpose.
How does engine shut off once it’s running?
All it has now is short bracket on injection pump.
My plan it to set it up as a stationary power unit, running a hydraulic pump.
How could I mount pump to flywheel?
I’m trying to keep my costs low.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Pictures will help us helpyou.
Other Duetz I have dealt with have a shutdown solenoid on the injection pump. Pulls 1 of the levers on the pump.
Pump mountings are usually just a drive plate attached to the flywheel to suit the pump shaft and the pump mounting itself is just a flat plate if the flywheel housing is deep enough. Bit of Googling should find some examples.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here a picture of filter base with missing part.
Product Cylinder Gas Plumbing Machine

Here’s a picture of filter base with missing part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the site.
Pictures will help us helpyou.
Other Duetz I have dealt with have a shutdown solenoid on the injection pump. Pulls 1 of the levers on the pump.
Pump mountings are usually just a drive plate attached to the flywheel to suit the pump shaft and the pump mounting itself is just a flat plate if the flywheel housing is deep enough. Bit of Googling should find some examples.
Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Auto part Machine

Only control lever is the one at left end of pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Your oil and fuel filter mounts must be special for your application. The standard mount has both filters on the same bracket. See photo below. I did find a BF6L913 that has a similar arrangement to yours. That one is a turbo model with a rear mounted intercooler which might have caused the need for a different filter mount. Maybe someone swapped parts from one engine to another. Does your engine have the ID plate with the serial number? I believe I may have identified that part. There is a diagram showing an optional oil heater. You'll find it on page 20 in this manual. https://deutz-minsk.by/pdf/service/914.pdf Not saying this is it but it's good possibility.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your oil and fuel filter mounts must be special for your application. The standard mount has both filters on the same bracket. See photo below. I did find a BF6L913 that has a similar arrangement to yours. That one is a turbo model with a rear mounted intercooler which might have caused the need for a different filter mount. Maybe someone swapped parts from one engine to another. Does your engine have the ID plate with the serial number? I believe I may have identified that part. There is a diagram showing an optional oil heater. You'll find it on page 20 in this manual. https://deutz-minsk.by/pdf/service/914.pdf Not saying this is it but it's good possibility.
I checked. Serial number matches the one on cover.
it does have an auxiliary oil pump on back side that I determined was for providing cab heating. The ports on filter base are either supply or source. Just wondering if the round dial needs to be adjusted or if it only an indicator of some sort.
right now I need to deal with frozen injection pump. Engine was sitting in storage for about 20 years. Now injection pump is not pumping to any of the output lines.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
If you look on page 27 of that manual I gave you on post #7, it indicates that open port on the filter mount is a switch for turning the oil heater in the cab off and on. You are missing the cap for it. Since these engines are air cooled, the engine oil was one source of heat for the cab. The other was an diesel fired heater like a small home furnace. There are some cheap ones on the market for a little over $100 but the good German built unit can run $1000 or more. Not unusual for an engine sitting for long term to have problems pumping fuel. Need to check the lift pump to be sure it is functioning. Check the fuel filter to be sure it is being filled. Change it if you haven't. Got to get all the air out of the system. Injection pumps generally won't pump air. The pump itself could be gummed up from old fuel sitting that long. May need to run some cleaning additive to get it freed up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you look on page 27 of that manual I gave you on post #7, it indicates that open port on the filter mount is a switch for turning the oil heater in the cab off and on. You are missing the cap for it. Since these engines are air cooled, the engine oil was one source of heat for the cab. The other was an diesel fired heater like a small home furnace. There are some cheap ones on the market for a little over $100 but the good German built unit can run $1000 or more. Not unusual for an engine sitting for long term to have problems pumping fuel. Need to check the lift pump to be sure it is functioning. Check the fuel filter to be sure it is being filled. Change it if you haven't. Got to get all the air out of the system. Injection pumps generally won't pump air. The pump itself could be gummed up from old fuel sitting that long. May need to run some cleaning additive to get it freed up.
thanks for the Iinformation about filter. I should be able to figure it out now.

Yes, changed fuel filter. Lift pump has good pressure. Loosened in and out lines on injection pump till all bubbles quit. No fuel output. Removed side cover on IP per service guys advice. Two of the five plungers were not moving. Got those loosened by spraying lubricant into fuel in port. Still not pumping. Read somewhere that rack can also be frozen from sitting too long. And if it’s frozen in the zero position, pump will not deliver any fuel. Not sure if I have any alternative than to remove IP and taking it to a diesel service shop.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
If you have the side cover off you should be able to see the rack movement. Been too long since I was inside a Duetz govenor housing but seem to remember they had to be topped with oil as they did not feed from the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have the side cover off you should be able to see the rack movement. Been too long since I was inside a Duetz govenor housing but seem to remember they had to be topped with oil as they did not feed from the engine.
It’s a Bosch IP. All I saw inside cover was the plungers

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Yes, you have a Bosch model A injection pump. Are you sure the shut down lever is in the correct position to run. If it is in the off position there will be no fuel output to the injectors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, you have a Bosch model A injection pump. Are you sure the shut down lever is in the correct position to run. If it is in the off position there will be no fuel output to the injectors.
If fuel shut off is same as trottle lever, then yes I pulled it out all the way. Also moved it to various positions in between while cranking engine.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
No, the fuel shut off and throttle lever are 2 separate parts. The shut down lever is just on or off, no in between. Here is a diagram showing the shut down solenoid parts. https://www.murcal.com/pdf folder/15.trombetta_solenoid_Q610_X222.pdf Here is a manual for a 914 engine which is basically similar. Look on page 33 and it will show you the 2 different levels for throttle and shut off. To operate, the shut off lever is pulled toward the back of the engine. Shut down is in the forward position. https://deutz-minsk.by/pdf/service/914.pdf

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd look careful at the set up.. injector pumps for some Deutz are immpossible to find.. I know they put the Deutz in the International tractors... and when the Pump goes out.. they are near immpossible to find.. or cost more than a good 4BT or a 6bt... they can be real money sinks..

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Most all the Deutz engines used the Bosch A injection pump with is very common, but the ones for the Deutz were somewhat different. Their pumps were on the opposite side of the engine to the Cummins. Also, Deutz had 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 cylinder in line engines. Very few manufacturers had a 5 cylinder so that one could sure be a bit tough to find, but that unit wasn't in farm machinery very much like some of the other variations. Actually, I never knew IH used the Deutz air cooled engines. Deutz had their own brand of tractors. Getting a Bosch pump worked on would be no problem. There are plenty of shops that service those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Make sure the rack is moving back to zero position and not stuck open before you light it off. My 6bt was stuck open a bunch and the engine went to max rpm that the injector pump could feed it. Gets the heart pumping wondering if you can get it shut down before hot angry iron starts flying at you at a high rate of speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 5L912 That I was rebuilding and sold the wheel loader without the engine. The engine comes with reground crank, piston and main bearings, rebuilt injectors, starter, alternator, hyd oil cooler, and metal all sheet. Asking $1500 and you freight it. Cost of replacement parts and machine work was over $1700. 005059272219

1 - 20 of 20 Posts