Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, new member here.

I have recently begun a project and was wondering if somebody knew of something before I go the custom machined route. I think I’ve gone through 400 threads with mention of Deutz engines and haven’t seen anything posted about an automatic transmission.

I have an m998 that I was planning on doing an engine swap on. The premise of the build was to make it as simple and as reliable as possible. While scrolling facebook market place I came up on a Deutz F6L912. I had never heard of these engines before and a bit of research showed me that this was exactly what I was looking for. Reliable, simple, easy to work on and air cooled which was a bonus for simplicities sake.

I went ahead and picked up the engine for a great deal. The engine has an SAE 3 fly wheel housing. Originally, I wanted to stick an FSO 6406 behind it with an adapter but couldn’t find a 13” clutch (14” wont fit and I tried contacting Eaton) with the 10 spline input shaft so I decided to scrap that idea and kept looking. Originally, I didn’t want any electronics when it came to the drive train, but the more I looked, the more I realized that I might have to make a compromise since I really needed an overdrive gear. That’s when I decided to go the Allison 1000 route, which I did because of the gearing of the Humvee. The 6 speed Allison with its second overdrive allows me to do around 65mph with 40 inch tires And 2.56 gears in the diff at 1600 RPM which I’m totally happy with. I have already sourced an Allison out of a crashed 2006 pick up with transfer case, drive shafts, and everything I would need for the swap behind the engine. The only thing I need to change on there is the bell housing. No problem since I’ve seen SAE 3 bell housings for the Allison 1000 at around 350 bucks and from what I have read they’re all interchangeable.

The part I’m stuck on is the flex plate. The F6L12 never came with one, all of them had flywheels, and all the Deutz flex plates I have found (only 1 online I can locate right now and boy have I looked ) do not work.

Are thereomatic any options that are available that would work in that application specifically before I go and pay a machine shop to make me one? Or could I have a machine shop machine the current fly wheel into a flex plate? Has anybody ever seen this done? Am I crazy for that idea? Haha

Also if anybody sees something that I’m missing please let me know. I already have the stand alone Allison figured out, I’m more concerned with mating the engine to the trans properly so that it doesn’t damage itself.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

-Ernest

·
Registered
6 Posts
Probably the easiest route to go would be to use a flex plate from a duramax and have a hub adapter machined so it will bolt to the crank. You may also need to space the transmission back a bit if theres not enough depth for the spacer. Keep in mind with that deutz that the governor on the injection pump is most likely an ag style, which will need to be changed to an automotive style governor to make it driveable, especially with an auto trans.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
The Deutz 912 engines were used in all kinds of applications including trucks and buses. They just weren't as common as Cummins or Detroit. You might possibly check with Allison to see if they reference a flex plate for the Deutz?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Deutz 912 engines were used in all kinds of applications including trucks and buses. They just weren't as common as Cummins or Detroit. You might possibly check with Allison to see if they reference a flex plate for the Deutz?
This is true, but I'm pretty sure none were used with the Allison 1000 series. And its very uncommon to find these vehicles in the U.S. There may be a bell housing that would work with the 1000 series, but a torque converter and flex plate are probably a long shot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I was considering using auto, I had a guy down in Florida checking for any kind of adapters that would work....He said that his contacts said that an Allison could be used but the adapters started around the $3k mark so he quit asking...ended up going the manual route
Phoenix Castings makes adapters from an SAE pattern flywheel housing and flywheel to mate a Deutz to a GM (sbc), Ford (C6), or Chrysler (727) transmissions. You can order a SAE flywheel housing and flywheel from a Deutz Dealer, but you would do better using one that does a lot of work on the older Deutz models...Clarke's Diesel Parts is who I have been using

1 - 7 of 7 Posts