Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I’m looking at buying a 5cylinder Deutz with Ivco 5 speed. If I go this route it will be going in my 74f100 that currently has a 240i6 and 3 speed on column. I really want to run my factory 3 speed as I’ve always loved driving with them. Can any one give me idea if there is a setup out there to mount one of the ford transmissions without modifying the ivco transmission bellhousing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Doubt very much there is anything available.
You need to do a bunch of measuring to see if you can fit a sandwich/adapter plate between the trans and Deutz housing.
Good chance the Deutz has an SAE pattern which is not hard to work with.

How will your road RPM be with the 3 speed? Guessing the 5 is an overdrive.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Ford actually offered a 5 cylinder Deutz kit a long time ago. Probably rare as hen's teeth now. I've only ever seen one for sale. You probably don't want the 3 speed unless you have an extremely high differential ratio. These engines aren't designed to rev high. You usually try to run around 1800 RPM. Seems like there's a Deutz dealer in Florida that has done a bit of Ford stuff. Might scan some of the builds and see if you can find him. There's also a lot of activity with these engines in South America but that's a long haul to find parts.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The five speed is a 1 to 1 no OD. I was thinking of using a 2.47-3.00 gear ratio with the 3 speed and Deutz.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to run 70 comfortable but I’ll run 55-60mph more than 70. Since I’ve never drove one of these engines what rpm is good to use or what low rpm to higher rpm should I stay inbetween?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My truck should be 3500-4000lbs fully loaded with me and fuel.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Most economical cruise RPM is in the 1800-2000 range, higher and fuel consumption goes up.

Why not use the trans already hooked up. Gas transmissions rarely are suitable for diesels because of narrower torque band on diesels.

Ed

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may have to go that route. I just love driving my old three speed on the columns. From what I’ve talked to owner about is the ivco transmission is a reverse shift pattern. The more I read about these air cooled diesels the more I want it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts