Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have recently purchased a BF6L912 engine out of a Deutz 130-06 tractor. I have looked at the stickey for current Deutz offerings, and this engine is not listed. Does anyone know what the stock HP and torque ratings are for this engine? It is about 345 ci, can I expect to achieve near 6bt performance with this engine?
I have been involved in a couple of 4bt and 6bt conversions, and would like to do something a little different. I have had a F5L912 in my '66 Chevy C30 for about 12 years, and I like everything about it except the fact that it gets very sluggish with 36000 lbs behind it. For a 288 cubic inch that can be expected I guess! The best part about the F5L912 was its fuel economy, which I hope to at least partially retain with the BF6L912.
So the 5 cylinder is out, and 6 cylinder turbo is being prepared for instalation. If it will perform as well as a stock ve pumped 6bt with slightly better fuel economy I will be happy! If it doesn't I will be looking for a 6bt.
I would be grateful for any advise or information that ayone can share on the BF6L912 engine. Thanks!

Alan

·
Registered
197 Posts
BF6L912 Turbo?

I would guess that the BF6L912 would be almost twice the power of the F5L912. Are you going to intercool? What turbo does your engine have? Do you have any pictures showing the turbo and manifold? I am interested to see how this fits.

I have an F4L912W I would like to turbo. I have been looking at BF4L913 engines and think they use a Schwitzer S2A turbo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This engine has a Schwitzer 3LD turbo on it now, with no wastegate. I do not intend to intercool it immediately, because of space restrictions. If it turns out that an intercooler is needed, I think that an upgraded turbo will be in order also. This engine has a very "forward" mount turbo, I may have to find/build a different exhaust manifold for an intercooler application.
The first order of business is to get the engine in the truck and see how it performs. I will be very happy if it has nearly twice the power of the F5L912.
If you do turbo your F4L912, it will likely have more power than the F5L912 also. I would have liked to found a BF6L913 for this application, but the 912 showed up first.
I will try to attach some pics of the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the tractor part # tell you the power. The 130-06 is 130hp 6 cyl. The engine is 345 cu in. Don't know the torque but I bet it's substantial. A friend of mine used to sell Deutz tractors but finally gave them up. Couldn't make any money on them because the darn things never needed fixing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Is the F5L912 adapter aluminum? How has it held up to severe use? Do you plan to use it on the BF6L912?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This clutch housing I have is not really an adapter, it is the actual clutch housing, and it is solid cast iron. It bolts directly to the engine, and the trucks trans bolts to the clutch housing. It has held up well, even when the first clutch exploded the first time I tried to accelerate with the 5 cylinder. I do plan on using the same clutch housing and transmission with the 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Is this housing from a truck or a kit?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was told by the person I bought it from that it came out of a Deutz powered Iveco truck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do you know if your clutch housing is SAE3? I thought all FL912 were SAE3 until today. My F4L912W is SAE4 housing at least, not sure about the flywheel yet, hopefully SAE10 flywheel. My FL912 welder engines have some wierd flywheel not SAE, the housings do not look SAE from bolt pattern. I do not think Iveco will help me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BF6L912 Clutch Housing Pattern

I don't know what SAE pattern the engine/clutch housing is. I will try to research and measure it in the next few days. Here are a couple of pics of the clutch housing and engine bay.

Does the "W" suffix denote a different pattern?

Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
W suffix is for underground application. This means indirect injecion heads, lower compression, and lower emissions, so I am told. The SAE4 is good news for my application in a jeep wrangler due to the front driveshaft clearance to the SAE3 housing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a pic of the rear of the engine as it came out of the tractor. It still has the two-stage clutch and engine adapter.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
SAE housing

Thanks for all the pics. The SAE 4 is 15 in center to center on the housing tapped holes and the SAE 3 is 16.88 in. Is that the turbo drain going in the left front of the gear case? Does your engine have a power steering pump on the left of the gear housing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, that is the turbo drain at the front left of the timing cover. It attaches to the pto gear cover. This engine does not have a power steering pump on it. The tractor used a dual pump, one section for power steering and the other for hydraulics, but the pump did not come with the engine. I have no need of a power steering pump, as the truck is not equiped with power steering.

Alan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 1980's Iveco my research has led me to believe. You could have a 727 Chrysler auto Trans or a speed manual.

Do you have the original cab over shifter got Trans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 13006 Deutz tractor that I recently overhauled. It shares a lot of parts with the non-turbocharged 912s, but some parts were different. The pistons are heavier and cost a lot more, since many fewer 912s were made with a turbo. The power is not going to be double of a 5 cylinder 913, but if it is unchanged from stock, it should be around 150 hp, as they had about 130 hp on the pto. It will be easy on fuel comsumption. The bosch inline pump has potential for a lot more if you don't mind the tradeoffs. The tractors use a massive oil pan that is 400 plus pounds by itself and is the frame of the tractor which bridges from the front axle support to the transmission. You could shed a lot of weight if you swap to a pan from anything else but a farm tractor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts