Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Deutz F5L912

11K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  chansey 
#1 ·
Need some info on Deutz emgine.

Have a 1989 Trojan 1500Z loader with a 2009 Deutz replacement engine. When purchased, seller advised that it had a "real bad knock".

Oil samples had no metal particulate.

Pulled valve covers---tappets all out of adjustment, some almost 1/4" gap-- readjusted all.

Started the engine--no knock. Ran it for 10 minutes and slight knock started. Could not tell which cylinder was causing the knock.

Want to pull the injectors and check them. Also have inspection camera to see inside the cylinders. How do you pull the injectors? The ones on this engine have two wide flat surfaces on each side of the injector. Only option I see is to find a nut or coupling to screw on to the injector. Any ideas of the size or where to find such a nut?. My guess is the the injector threads are 16mm-1.75. Had a 16mm-2.0--too coarse.

Any other possibilities as to the source of the knock? Engine sounds good otherwise and lots of power.

Thanks--Paul

See less See more
#2 ·
Back Again

Got the injectors out. Threads are 14MM x 1.5. Not a popular size and could not locate one without a special order. Found a Chevy wheel lug nut that fit the threads on the injector and then welded to the lug nut an other nut that fit the threads on my slide hammer rod. Engaged all the threads on the injector.

Four of the injectors came out with minimal effort. The injector for #3 cylinder was a real bear. When it did come out after 15 minutes with the slide hammer, there was carbon all over the barrel. It was so heavy, it was binding the injector. The copper washer had not been installed and the buildup occurred because of bypass into the well of the injector. The tight fitting copper washer prevents this from happening. Three of the plastic alignment guides were cracked. Possibly due to removal of the injectors.

The #3 injector hole in the head is full of carbon. I plan on putting air into the injector nozzle holes, crank the engine and see if the carbon will come out the exhaust.

Central Motive Diesel in Albuq, NM has the injectors, will pressure test and or repair as needed. Based on how well the engine ran, most likely only the #3 injector will need repair or replacement.

Hope this helps others who may encounter a similar problem.

Paul

#3 ·
Hopefully that will take of the issue, sounds like it was a neglected machine?

#4 ·
Grey Wolfe,

The machine was heavily used on a daily basis. Had engine replacement in 2009.

Before I even fired the machine I did the following:

Replaced rear diff pinion seal

Did not have the V-seal installed--leaked out all the oil

Replaced fuel injection kill cable--wouldn't move in either direction

Rebuilt starter--bad Bendix

Replaced fuel fill over flow hose. Burned in half by muffler

Found wire harness at swivel pin cut completely

Had wrong oil filter--they had used a BF7633 which is a fuel filter. Oil so thick had difficulty draining filter

Had the knock from one of the injectors. #3 was heavy with carbon. Sealing copper washer was missing. Injector was stuck open. Having all 5 injectors rebuilt.

I purchased the 1989 Trojan with 95% tires for $3,000. Will have less than another $1,000 for the minor repairs. Even with marginal injectors, the machine started on its own without either and was extremely strong. Looking forward to using the machine. Have a lot of work pending. It will be joining the JD 450B, 1989 JCB 1700B and 1989 Case 1155E with 4 in 1 bucket.

I am almost 70 and it's sure nice to be able to do your own work. No easy chair for this USMC Vietnam Vet.

Paul

#5 ·
Hey Paul I know what you mean I'm only four years behind you:) Have fun with that machine and thank you for your service ! GW

#10 ·
It's definitely a rod knock--overall sounds much better with the new nozzles.

Wind is blowing hard--will wait to open it up.

I have had Deutz diesels in other equipment. Best deal I ever got was at a Dept of Trans auction. 1987 1500Z had a note on the steering wheel, '' Non-runner, entire fuel systems needs rebuilding". My past experience with DOT sales is to be prepared. Took fuel, two batteries, some tools and waited for the auction. Bought the loader for $1,250.

After the auction was over, opened the drain plug on the fuel tank----not a drop in it. Fueled the machine and started purging the air out. Took about 30 min, she fired and for the next 7 years, never had to touch it. They do like to work hard and are very dependable.

As for the CF, I plan on having two adapters and couplers completed.

Paul

#11 · (Edited)
Well, it was the #3 cylinder that was the issue.

Pulled the engine and removed the oil pan. Nice clean and undamaged rod bolt in the bottom of the pan. The top part of the bearing was paper thin and the lower half was welded to the rod and had a 3" gap on the crank.

Finished tearing the engine down and took the crank in in the machine shop to see what could be done. Surprisingly, the rods cleaned up at .020 and the mains at .010. No wear in the cylinders, just a light hone and new rings.

Cleaning the components is a real bear as the the material the loader was handling stuck to everything like tar--- slow and steady, one piece at a time.

Got the 3 drive plates locally from Sierra Machinery for $27 each. MinPar wanted $200 each and 5 to 10 weeks lead time.

I'm trying to score a 4BT for my 1942 Chevy G506. I plan on using a 1997 Chevy C3500HD chassis that I have laying around. Have a 1996 12V I could use too.

I'll post some pics soon.

#12 ·
Update on the Deutz

Picked up a rebuilt 4BT at a bargain price. Decided to forego the Deutz rebuild/install and install the Cummins. It is 130 HP so I gain 35 HP or so.

I will sell the complete 2006 Deutz F5L912 engine and new parts--cheap. Send PM

The 4BT came with an SAE #2 flywheel housing and flywheel with starter attached. The Deutz is SAE #3. Decided to use the SAE #2 on the Cummins so I had to design an adapter to go from SAE #2 to #3.

There was a 1/2" gap between the flywheel and the Clark torque converter drive plates. Designed a filler plate, had it CNC plasma cut cut and then drilled on a mill.

4BT is now ready for install. Will post picks soon.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.