Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know where there is a low mileage Deutz 5 cly (or 6 -cant remember now) box truck. Body made by Iveco. Tip-up square cab.
Has about 50 K miles. The box looks like it might be 18 or 20 feet. I believe it was purchased in the mod 1980's.
everything is still pretty good mechanically- starts right up easily and runs good without any noticeable blow-by.
Its only problem is that the floor in the cab is pretty well rusted out. Tires still look OK.

I have researched a little and I cant find any evidence of any current dealers for something like this in America.
Seem to be lots of newer versions in England. (Iveco )

What would something like this be good for ?????? I would think spare parts would be a problem -

I wondered if the engine would cross with any of the farm tractor motors in Deutz tractors... ?

Is it a useless odd-ball dinosaur ?

What do you think ?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sounds like it is the typical 1980-83 Iveco Z100 light duty box truck with the Deutz F5L912 Diesel. 100hp 5 cylinder air cooled. They are a very stout, reliable engine. Im not sure what kind of parts availability there is for Iveco in the USA, but have heard that the Fiat 5 speeds commonly found behind them were junk. The T-19 Borg Warner was the more favorable transmission. Deutz parts are not hard to find, but they are extremely expensive. Their are aftermarket Deutz parts available, at about 1/3 price of genuine Deutz parts, but I cannot vouch for how good they are. I was looking into buying a 77 Blazer with a Deutz 5 cylinder swapped into it. The cost to rebuild the engine is prohibitively expensive, so if you really want a Deutz, make sure its a good runner. In a light truck, you will have no problem exceeding the 30mpg barrier. They are very economical to operate.

Chris

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ktron pretty much beat me to it. The only value of the truck is probably to take the engine out and swap it into something.

If you have a use for such a box truck, well then use it untill it falls apart or is un fixable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NO- its not a z-100 ....... its way bigger than that...... it has a water cooled straight 5 or 6 cylinger engine. Maybe the box might be 35 or 40 feet .....
BIG truck .....

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
some iveco engines are identical to the cummins 3.9 and 5.9, and parts are interchangeable
CR, do you have verifiable references to the parts interchange between Cummins B-series 3.9L and 5.9L engines and Iveco built engines? Or is this another internet "fact" that needs to be killed before it costs some one serious money?

·
Super Moderator
8,747 Posts
CR, do you have verifiable references to the parts interchange between Cummins B-series 3.9L and 5.9L engines and Iveco built engines? Or is this another internet "fact" that needs to be killed before it costs some one serious money?
I don't know the exact details, but there is more than a passing resemblence going on:
Iveco N45:

Rear mounted gear-trains on the Iveco motors, but other similarities are there. They look like some parts would fit and bore/stroke matches for the 3.9/4.5 and 5.9/6.7. Turbo looks like a Holset.

The tie-ups between Cummins and Case-New Holland are well known. Iveco fits into that same puzzle.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Dougal,

Thank you.

Russ

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Iveco is under the Fiat group and those engines like the Case/New Holland tractors definitely have some Cummins heritage. Same bore and stroke, same head and block design, and even the valve covers are the same. As to how many parts you could actually swap between engine would need some measuring. Most of their more recent engines have rear gear train as do the Cummins. The one engine they have in their lineup that I alway thought would be a neat swap is the 334T/M2. It's literally a 3bt 3.34 L. Only problem there aren't many on the used market and a new one is astronomically expensive. Also, parts for those engines are high, even by Cummins standards.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The one engine they have in their lineup that I alway thought would be a neat swap is the 334T/M2. It's literally a 3bt 3.34 L
i've only seen the 3-pot in naturally-aspirated versions, fitted into tractors

1 - 10 of 10 Posts