Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought some people might want some long distance towing results from a F5L912 with a turbo added about 100 miles.

Yesterday I towed home a truck on my car trailer. The combined weight of truck (5800lbs)and trailer(2200lbs) was about 8000 lbs. plus the weight of my truck came to a total gvw of 13,700 lbs.

The outside air temp was about 75F. The cylinder heads at 65mph ran the same loaded or unloaded at 134F and the oil temp ran the same as the head temp.

It pulled beautifully at 65 mph 1930rpm 5th gear. With air conditioning on. Egts never exceeded 1000F once up to speed. Accelerating (turbo lag) touched 1150f. Had max boost only once on a hill (20 psi) for about 5-8 seconds. Never lost speed taking a hill.

Not bad for a 288ci (4.7L) engine.

Still considering different injectors. I pretty sure the ones from a BF6L913c (nozzle dlla149s775)(stock dlla149s774) with fit but need to talk to the injection shop.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Do you have any new pictures or videos of this little red beast?

What kind of horsepower/torque do you think she makes? (maybe 140/400 up from the stock ~100/310)

It sounds like your custom turbo F5L912, or is it a BF5L912 now :dustin: is working great for you.
Any idea what the mileage is?

I have a GMC ad of their 7000 series lineup with a F6L912 on the list. I have only seen one GMC medium duty truck rocking the F6L912, and the owner said he would get 16mpg with it loaded or empty. That's alot better than my 7000 with the Detroit 4-53T getting 13mpg empty.

Good luck with it,

Chris

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
Sounds great. I think I'll do that with this other FL 912 in a newer truck. Or, the F4L 912 in a small package. WHen everything is set up right it'll work.

Wonder how well it'd hold up in a tractor under sustained heavy load? I think that's how they were blowing up.

Some Mennonite boys in PA are winning tractor pulls with a BF6L 913 at 2000hp.

I'll bet you got at least 25mpg too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
deutz 100 06

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/v...redir=1#search="digital commons deutz 100 06"

deutz 130 06

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/v...redir=1#search="digital commons deutz 130 06"

I don't think the tractors are the ones that had problems. we have 130 06 and never had a problem. On the links above look at the engine descriptions.Both engines are 345ci which is a f6l912 displacement. Note the fuel consumption (gal per hr) differences at approx 107 hp (130 06 turbo) to approx 105 (100 06 na). That is huge.

I will get a video one of these days. I haven't checked towing fuel mileage yet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im looking at doing a F5L912 or a F6L912T, I have a 4BTA I am rebuilding so I already have a fuel milage engine so I am pushing towards the F6L. But if the F5L does such a good job towing then I would love to use one. I was wondering if you had any fuel milage numbers for us.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im looking at doing a F5L912 or a F6L912T, I have a 4BTA I am rebuilding so I already have a fuel milage engine so I am pushing towards the F6L. But if the F5L does such a good job towing then I would love to use one. I was wondering if you had any fuel milage numbers for us.
Unload highway is high 20's low 30's depends on outside air temp, fuel blend,etc. Towing is low to mid 20's

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is pretty good mpg for a vehicle that size, Im hoping to get the same out of my 4bta but will not have the pulling power you have. What type of bell housing do you have aka did you buy an adapter to get the trans to fit. Need some video of pulling, cold starts, all the fun!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is pretty good mpg for a vehicle that size, Im hoping to get the same out of my 4bta but will not have the pulling power you have. What type of bell housing do you have aka did you buy an adapter to get the trans to fit. Need some video of pulling, cold starts, all the fun!
The engine came with a chevy adapter. It was a conversion deutz was offering in the 80's. I try to get a video some time. The engine starts great in 0 degree weather since i give it about 18 secs glow time on the cummins grid heater.

·
Registered
10 Posts
congratulations on having the ultimate engine setup.

hello there 403oldsman . . i just got a f5l912 in very decent shape and my final goal is to have it running properly with a turbo.. now you are the only one that have a turboed f5l912 would you please share your components specs with me (injection pump setup + turbo setup) you would automatically become my diesel engine hero

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hello there 403oldsman . . i just got a f5l912 in very decent shape and my final goal is to have it running properly with a turbo.. now you are the only one that have a turboed f5l912 would you please share your components specs with me (injection pump setup + turbo setup) you would automatically become my diesel engine hero
The pump is:
timed @ 30 btdc
Turn up to about 2 conservative turns from run away
Still going to do different injectors one day. Haven't made it that far.
The turbo is:
HY35 or HE341 or whatever you want to call it. spools up around 1500 rpm
2.75 intercooler piping and intercooler.
Intercooler is 31x11
Exhaust is:
3.5"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just thought some people might want some long distance towing results from a F5L912 with a turbo added about 100 miles.

Yesterday I towed home a truck on my car trailer. The combined weight of truck (5800lbs)and trailer(2200lbs) was about 8000 lbs. plus the weight of my truck came to a total gvw of 13,700 lbs.

The outside air temp was about 75F. The cylinder heads at 65mph ran the same loaded or unloaded at 134F and the oil temp ran the same as the head temp.

It pulled beautifully at 65 mph 1930rpm 5th gear. With air conditioning on. Egts never exceeded 1000F once up to speed. Accelerating (turbo lag) touched 1150f. Had max boost only once on a hill (20 psi) for about 5-8 seconds. Never lost speed taking a hill.

Not bad for a 288ci (4.7L) engine.

Still considering different injectors. I pretty sure the ones from a BF6L913c (nozzle dlla149s775)(stock dlla149s774) with fit but need to talk to the injection shop.
Hey I know this post is old but how is the Engine holding up in the truck? Also how much power can you get out of one of those engines I can’t really seem to find any information on them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts