Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked like they had some good ones this month in Houston, but prices were up around $2500.
Most others were going for less than 1900, did anyone buy the ones from houston?
It looked like it was the same person bidding on all of them.
later

·
Registered
301 Posts
I was watching those trucks too, they went pretty high, but you don't see them for sale in this part of the country as much. I know there is a guy in Houston that parts step vans out, he might have gotten a hold of them.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Doesn't help that scrap is on the high side right now.........
I actually read something recently that was saying scrap was on it's way down, that foriegn demand was drying up. This was a few weeks ago when I was planning on going to the city auction. I was trying to get a rough estimate for scrap price on the trucks they had. The scrap man stopped bidding right about where I calculated.

Of course the trucks I was looking at didn't have much if any aluminum in them...... no idea where demand is for that.

I haven't been tracking chip vans, but my guess is that the word is out, that they're a good source of 4bt's and the left overs are worth quite a bit due to the aluminum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It may be true..........at this time of the year scrap normally isn't as high till spring so that is kinda weird but so is our economy.....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yea, I just got an industry news letter. I work for a metal roofing manufacturer. They talked about demand is pretty much at a crawl for new steel, which at the same time makes scrap steel fall as well. So, steel prices are already falling and will continue to do so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts