Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put the recommended dose of morey's diesel fuel conditioner into a full tank about 300 k's and 10 days ago. today, i find fuel dripping from the gasket between the distributor head and the injector pump body. :puke: are the two related, or is it just bad luck ?

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
Does this additive contain alcohol? Alcohol sometimes has a shrinking effect on some rubber o-rings, gaskets, and seals.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Might be partly coincidence, as ULSD can cause some problems over time with alcohol then speeding up an already bad seal deterioration process.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it seemed more like mineral turps than alcohol. i think i'm just cranky because it's playing up and want someone to blame. i'll get over it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also, when i yank the pump, the lock bolt is at the front of the pump ? i saw it had a washer under it with a hole in it. can i just pop the plastic cover off the timing cover, and remove the pump that way. or does the timing cover actually have to come off ? it's going for a rebuild, do i need to lock it at all ?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks bob. i did have a flip through the faq's. the questions arose from that.
to remove the nut and press the gear off the pump, can i just pop the circular cover off the timing cover, or does the timing cover have to come off ? is the pump lock bolt on your driver's side of the pump, and about an inch from the front ? from what you described, this bolt looks to have the " crow foot washer " under it.

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
thanks bob. i did have a flip through the faq's. the questions arose from that.
to remove the nut and press the gear off the pump, can i just pop the circular cover off the timing cover, or does the timing cover have to come off ? is the pump lock bolt on your driver's side of the pump, and about an inch from the front ? from what you described, this bolt looks to have the " crow foot washer " under it.
Yes, just unscrew the cover and the nut is directly behind it. No need to remove the cover. Just make sure you are at top dead center by checking the timing pin into the timing gear. Remember to pull the pin back after you index it into the gear or you could snap it off. The pump locking bolt is where you described. Loosen it far enough to remove the washer then snug it down to lock the shaft. Wire the spacer washer onto your engine so you can not misplace it. The pump shop should return your pump set up for #1 TDC which is where your timing gears should remain at. Remember also to disconnect your battery so you can't accidentally turn the engine with the starter while the pump is removed.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yanked the pump this arvo. easy as. thanks for the hints and tips. now to see how bad it all was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts