Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I wanted to go, but had to come back home thurs nite. post up lots of pics, I'll probably be real sad I missed it. had my converted truck pulling my converted scout on the trailer. got home in time for the power to go out for two days at my house due to a strange wind storm.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Any pictures?

Anyone got a trip report for those of us who were not able to go?

Thanks,

Russ

·
Premium Member
387 Posts

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Show went really well, a great turnout and a lot of fun!
Thanks to all who made it and a big thanks to everyone for helping make it happen.

It was on the warm side for the weekend... otherwise couldn't have been better.

I'm trying to upload some pictures now and will get pictures from two others to upload in the next few days or next week.

Grigg

·
Registered
111 Posts
A HUGE THANK-YOU ! to Grigg, and all (Mom & Dad & many more) whose effort made this event possible. The anticipation on the way down, and the memories on the way home, made the 1100 mile trip a walk in the park. Thanks again for TRUE SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY !

Rick (and family)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks you!

Grigg, and the other Grigg
As the above post says, A Big Thank You to you and your Mom and Dad.
We came in as a wounded duck with parts in our hands and worked on the Dakota most of the time we were there. We lost the air condition compressor 45 minutes from our house on the way up. In a black trk sometimes seeing 105* outside temps you could say we were warm. Reaching Roanoke (about 1hr and 15mins from Confab 2012) a week ahead of time only to find the power failure Grigg mentioned had lasted in Granny's until the day we left.
The in-law visit was great and I got a chance to see most of the city while chasing down the parts needed to get our air working again. My friend JimAG brought a vacuum pump, some gauges and some magic to get the old orifice out and as Larry the Cable guy says we got-er-did.
The Bar-B-que was great, the people were great and the setting and scenery was something to behold. I just wish I had more time to take it all in.
Here are some pix the wife took.
DSCN0304.jpg DSCN0306.jpg DSCN0314.jpg DSCN0318.jpg DSCN0307.jpg DSCN0301.jpg DSCN0311.jpg DSCN0310.jpg DSCN0315.jpg DSCN0321.jpg
Thanks again,
Al, Tami. and the Kids

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Conchy,

Thanks for the pictures. Maybe next year.........

Russ

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
29 Posts
Grigg-

Thank you very much for the great event! Dad and I had a blast on Saturday. Wish we could have stayed longer. Can't wait for the next one!!!

-Ben

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Another successful confab,thanks to Grigg 3 with support from pop[Grigg Jr.],and mom[Cindy] and a big thank you to John Mileman of the Stovebolt group and his worker bees . This was the 32nd event and I've been to most ,starting in 1980 at the community college in Richmond .Later it went to Mississagua, Ontario to the Shell Research Center ,then to another community college in Port Huron,Michigan . Then back and forth between the Us and Canada .
The tech. sessions of performing a tune up on the 3-53T ,plus adjusting the Jake Brake, plus trouble shooting the no-fuel/ no start were a nice addition .Later we tackled Dick Schaeffer's 2-71 power unit from a Lincoln welder . When it wouldn't turn over, we kicked around possible causes ,without wanting to disable it or dismantle it unnecessarily. Seems we agreed that corroded rotors in the blower was the most likely possible cause . Dick's old IHC 6 Speed Special with Perkins power has been around a long time ,but Mel Fair's Bronco repowered with an IHC 7.3 was one of a kind !
With the extremely hot weather,it was a treat that Grigg provided electrical hookups for the 4 of us that had campers .

·
Registered
430 Posts
What engine is in the big Sterling wrecker? Stock it would have been 900+ cubic inch Wakeshaw. Wish I could have come...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
No.........They were owned by the members of the "Stovebolt Group" that helped put the confab together with various detail assignments . But they were conversions .......that avoided the typical "stuff a V-8 in it" . Original engines the would have been the 216 Chivvy.........but these had the 235 or 261 cube engines ,some had dual intakes and Fenton cast iron dual exhaust .

41 - 60 of 67 Posts