Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I guess I should start a buildup thread at some point. I started this project in December. I didn’t want to share too too much until I was pretty positive that it would work. At this point, the engine is in and runs. Now it’s just little stuff which we all know can take forever and nickel and dime you to death… Hopefully a couple more weeks and I will be driving it around. My goal is to take it to a local auto show the last Friday of the month.

I have a webpage for the project and it has more pictures than I will post in this thread. I lost all my formatting so the page is screwed up until I can fix it.

Here is a somewhat sequential look at my build:

I need to resize some of my earlier pictures they are rather big.

Basic Build Sheet is as follows:

2001 Dodge Durango SLT – fully loaded
1996 Cummins 4bta 120hp
TH700r4
Custom NP233 (no front axle for now so it will be 2wd for a while)
4” exhaust
Good Hood ram air hood (came on Durango)

I have no clue why some of the pictures don't work but they don't and i can't seem to fix them.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Test fitting the 4bta with some help:

Looks like it will fit!

Had to clearance the hood for the top part of the aftercooler:

Someone should tell the Durango lay off the coke…

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The engine then went in and I stopped taking pictures for a while. It went a few weeks/months with very little work. I was on travel for a while and got sick a couple times and just plain wasn’t around. I’ve been hammering away the past couple weeks though and here is the latest:

Converting the fuel tank:

Fuel pickup:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My throttle and TV cable brackets:

If anyone wants at least the TV cable bracket(or throttle) I am thinking of getting them CNC plasma cut and I would be able to hook you up

Starting to look like something:

Fram I know, that’s what advance had, gonna order some Fleetguard soon:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thats gonna be awesome! What torque converter are you using? Where did you get the adaptor ring for the torque converter, and how thick is it? I was thinking of just using a dual pattern flexplate to stick in there, but I like yours better.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it is a stock diesel torque converter. came with the trans. The transmission will be getting replaced in the near future. I don't know what shape it is in. Hopefully good enough shape to get it moving for a while. I haven't decided where to get my replacement. I would consider a raptor from transmission center but they are really far away and i would hate to have to deal with shipping back and forth if i had a problem...

pm me about the adapter ring.

I just saw that transmission center offers a billet flywheel, it looks very pricy though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congrats!!!:beer: :beer:

sounding really cool stepping out for the first time!

Wondering how it drives compared to the gas 360?
weight, speed, accel, vibe etc...

Best Regards,
George

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats!!!:beer: :beer:

sounding really cool stepping out for the first time!

Wondering how it drives compared to the gas 360?
weight, speed, accel, vibe etc...

Best Regards,
George
Thanks!

We'll see how it drives soon... gotta finish up some little things before it is really road worthy. I'd hate to get a mile from home just to have an issue... Getting there though!

So far, it definitely has more vibrations, at idle especially. It's also quite loud. Weight, doesn't seem all that different just going by the suspension. It seems to sit really really level to when the 360 was in it. The only explanation is that i did lose the front axle and the front drive shaft, along with the 700r4 being lighter than the 46RE that came out.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congradulations on your swap. I was wondering how the wiring went. Could you elaborate a little bit? Any problems?
wiring's been a PAIN so far! i knew it would be. It just takes forever. I have the FSM for it, otherwise i'd be dead in the water...

getting it to start was a challenge in itself... i'm not trying to get some of the gauges working.

drove it down the road, the transmission isn't shifting correctly, i think my TV cable setup is bad, it feels like it's waiting for the engine to rev up further before it shifts, but the 4bt just doesn't rev... got some work to do here. The durango drives nicely, much smoother than i thought it would.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do your gauges run through the computer or are they separate? A buddy at work says Dodge is way behind in wiring, but it sure made my swap easier. I eliminated the computer so wiring was pretty simple. The only thing i haven't figured out is the cruise control.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do your gauges run through the computer or are they separate? A buddy at work says Dodge is way behind in wiring, but it sure made my swap easier. I eliminated the computer so wiring was pretty simple. The only thing i haven't figured out is the cruise control.

all through the computer... Did you get the stock tach to work on yours? Mine runs off the CPS, and i haven't figured out a good way to mount that yet...

I haven't gotten to Cruise yet, it's kind of low on the list, haha.

Well i drove it a little farther this time, drives really well. Seems to have decent power too. It does seem to smoke on accelleration, not sure what that means.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.