Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, after seeing DieselZJ's rig on here and Mallcrawlin, I started taking an interest in diesel motor swaps. This was peaked even more after seeing fitty's swap in his TJ (he's a local guy).
With my 93 5.2L V8 getting horrible gas mileage and the truck being a DD, spending $70 every 400km on a tank of fuel is a bit much. Though the cost of the swap won't be low, it should hopefully pay for itself in fuel savings.
Of course since I alway wheel the rig, the 4BT will give me tons of useable torque right off of idle and won't require me to run crazy low gearing thus making it much more street and free way friendly.

I'd like to attempt and fit the 4BT swap in with only a short arm lift (4.5-5.5" of lift), however from what I hear, there are issues with the starter clearing the upper control arms.

Specs of the ZJ as of right now:
Mostly stock
231/D300 Crawl Box (Mad Rooster doubler kit, I'd like to keep that but add some upgrades to it)
Have parts to do a 3.5" lift just need shocks and some warm weather.

Shopping list (will be updated/modded as I figure out what I need and or buy):
- NV4500 (Not sure on Dodge or GM yet)
- ZJ Master Cyl.
- ZJ 5spd Pedals (if I can find them)
- Dodge adapter plate, bell housing, starter, clutch
- NV4500
- Aux gauges for oil pressure, water temp, pyrometer, tachometer. Will try to keep the factory speedometer and fuel gauge if I can.
- Various bits and pieces that I know I will need.
- Most importantly, the motor itself. I'd like to find a motor locally to me, something either low mileage or a Recon.
- GM Alternator
- 94-97 Dodge Diesel sending unit (in tank)
- 94-97 Dodge Diesel Power steering/vacuum pump

I'm still doing lots of research on this swap, I'd like to do it sometime this year but I'll be taking things really slowly as we all know what life can be like at times. I'll definitely be posting my updates as things progress.

·
Registered
233 Posts
cool good to see you got another grand I haven't done any thing with my projects was off for 10 weeks this summer with no pay:( did you find a motor? there is a guy in hamilton that gets them fom the states every now and then he also gets trannies and lots of dodge diesel partsbounce if you need help with fabbing I can help out a little (get my hands on experenc with these motors) give me a shout Iam only a hour drive:rasta:

·
Registered
126 Posts
The adapter goes between the block and the bellhousing. Be sure to get the correct one for the year of the bellhousing, that will also determine the starter used. Hope this helps. Lots of goodies on this site.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool good to see you got another grand I haven't done any thing with my projects was off for 10 weeks this summer with no pay:( did you find a motor? there is a guy in hamilton that gets them fom the states every now and then he also gets trannies and lots of dodge diesel partsbounce if you need help with fabbing I can help out a little (get my hands on experenc with these motors) give me a shout Iam only a hour drive:rasta:
Don't have the motor yet, need to get some storage space first.
Don't know of the guy in Hamilton. I was talking with DieselZJ and he can set me up with an engine if need be.

The adapter goes between the block and the bellhousing. Be sure to get the correct one for the year of the bellhousing, that will also determine the starter used. Hope this helps. Lots of goodies on this site.
Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
he avertizes in the triad i will try to find the # and pm you. how much is he charging you for the engine?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't remember off the top of my head.

I've still got a ways to go before doing this. Though I will be keeping my eyes open for parts.
First thing I've got to do is get fabbing on some long arms.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Anthony,
I just had a huge reply typed out, and flippin kijiji hijacked it.

We'll meet up after newyears, and you can pick my brain. I can answer so many of your questions.

These are the ads from the guy in Hamilton. He is apparantly a little 'wierd'. Fits in with the rest of the city.

Greg has a 4BT ready at Overland. Email him and see what the plans for it are, or what he'll let it go for.

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...T-4CYL-CUMMINS-TURBO-DIESEL-W0QQAdIdZ28560697
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-parts-accessories-DIESEL-ENGINES-W0QQAdIdZ28561492

Oh, and let this site be "our little secret" ;)
-Scotty

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anthony,
I just had a huge reply typed out, and flippin kijiji hijacked it.

We'll meet up after newyears, and you can pick my brain. I can answer so many of your questions.

These are the ads from the guy in Hamilton. He is apparantly a little 'wierd'. Fits in with the rest of the city.

Greg has a 4BT ready at Overland. Email him and see what the plans for it are, or what he'll let it go for.

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...T-4CYL-CUMMINS-TURBO-DIESEL-W0QQAdIdZ28560697
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-parts-accessories-DIESEL-ENGINES-W0QQAdIdZ28561492

Oh, and let this site be "our little secret" ;)
-Scotty
LOL.
Thanks for the links to the ads man. I'm not quite ready to buy an engine yet, I need to still recover a bit from Christmas.

I haven't told anyone about this site yet. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
233 Posts
That is the guy I was talking about

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured I put up a few lil pictures.
The ZJ itself:

Crawl Box is here and came with a blingy shift knob too.

What is a crawl box you ask? It's basically dual transfer cases. You take the front half of a 231 and with the adapter plate and input shaft, mate it to a D300. This gives you a front case with high and low range and a rear case (that will be twin sticked) that gives you front/rear high, neutral and low ranges. Plus thanks to the front case your Low range or Low Low (both cases in low range) is 7.13:1 (add a 4:1 low range to the D300 and it changes to 10.88:!, awesome for crawling).

I've found a 231, just need to locate a D300.

I've also got some lift parts but I'm thinking I'm going to sell most of it and just buy Clayton Long Arms for the ZJ.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spent some time talking with Diesel ZJ about the swap.
Found out quite a bit of info for the swap.

Now I just need to win the lotto so I can do the swap.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Started talking with a local shop about doing the swap for me. That way I can have it all done right the first time and not have to mess around with stuff. Be nice to have it all done once since the truck is a DD.

Price on a 4BT with adapter, PS Pump, Vac Pump, SI Delco Alt and reduction starter is around $5000. Engine will have approx 120k miles on it.
Then the NV4500 is $600-700 in good used condition.

Final price, all turn key will be around $10000. Most of that being the engine itself. The D35 won't be too happy with all that torque but I figure, it lives up to the v8 so as long as I don't bang gears and bark the tires it should hold up for a bit.

First thing I've got to do is finish that damned crawl box of mine and then get some long arms on the truck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
cherokee pedals can be used in a ZJ.

the motor price is a little high. remans can be had off ebay for similar prices with P pumps

I bought mine for 2k. then found a wrecked cummins in a dodge. bought the dodge motor tranny and t-case for 1800. stole allt he appliances off the dodge sold the motor for 1200, kept the engine adapter plate, fstarter, flywheel ect. sold the Getrag and np205 for 700.

i already had a nv4500/ d300 in my rig.

so deals do exist.

id do the conversion yourself i dont trust others to work on my rig it never ends up being to my std.

:beer:

·
Registered
126 Posts
ditto the ditto.

even with a warranty behind it, there is a chance
the passion for detail and quality is just not there...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Trust me guys, the quality is there. A bunch of you on here have commented on my install and the quality/factory look installation, so you've said it yourselves.

It's the exact same shop that did my conversion.

And as for those saying $5000 is high, you're not in Canada. I hate to say it but everything that crosses the border up here goes up in value. Lots of money to be made that way. Put that together with the fact that none of the P30's up here got 4BT converted, makes for a tough to find little engine.

-Scott

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scott's right.

I'm picky on how works on my truck too. I've known and only used 1 mechanic my whole life besides me. He only gets the truck when I can't fix it.

Overland does some real quality work.

That said, I will try to find deals on somethings, saving money would be nice.

Fitty: What was the turn around on your swap?

·
Registered
238 Posts
'bout three weeks... after the first week tho, the anticipation kills you....

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey guys! Just wanted to plug Bill & Greg, they do awesome work. My cj7 4.3 sm420 swap is on their site and works flawless(other than my own breakage) well worth the $ to have these guys do my work, and faster. Check out gregs latest work, ZJ toyota diesel swap he came by the other day to show off and make me jealous (it worked) not sure if his link is on here, Ill leave that to you guys Jake

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure when the diesel is going in my truck or who's going to be doing it but I have bought some parts to further the build.

Got the 9" housing home today.

Started working on it, ground the spring perches off.

It is a big bearing 9" too!

Here it sits with the perches knocked off and after cleaning it up with a zip disk. Used some mineral spirits to clean the dust and dirt off and now it's ready for paint.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts