Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im playing with the idea of dropping a diesel into my 96 Isuzu rodeo with the 3.2. Im really interested in biodiesel as well. Does anyone know the best bolt in option for me? I just replaced my trans (mua5), any chance it will be able to work?

THANKS

·
Super Moderator
8,818 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
X 2 for the 4JB1. they are a pretty good donk. with an intercooler and some tweaks they make a rodeo fly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links!

Looks like the pup needed quite a bit of mods to take the motor... I might need to wait until I get a second car to do this project..

·
Registered
258 Posts
I know Ohio doesn't see the snow and salt we do, but check the frame on your Isuzu before going any further. We have had 3 Rodeos in the last 3 months fail inspection and get junked because the frames were rotted BAD. All were between 1999-2002.

For engines, look at ebay. Diesels are very popular everywhere except the U.S., and many engines are imported for resale. Most are overpriced, but there are deals out there.

Jim

·
Registered
854 Posts
I see Isuzu Trooper 3.1 turbo diesels on eBay regularly for around $2500

·
Super Moderator
8,818 Posts
Thanks for the links!

Looks like the pup needed quite a bit of mods to take the motor... I might need to wait until I get a second car to do this project..
When that pickup was new the C223 (2.2L) diesel was the factory fitment and it usually had a 4speed bolted up. I think there's a length difference when you slot in the 5 speed.
Yours was sold in other markets with the 4JB1T and associated transmissions (auto or 5sp manual) so a swap will be more straightforward.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know Ohio doesn't see the snow and salt we do, but check the frame on your Isuzu before going any further. We have had 3 Rodeos in the last 3 months fail inspection and get junked because the frames were rotted BAD. All were between 1999-2002.

For engines, look at ebay. Diesels are very popular everywhere except the U.S., and many engines are imported for resale. Most are overpriced, but there are deals out there.

Jim
Yeah, Ive checked my frame, no holes yet, going to het it with some POR 15 in spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When that pickup was new the C223 (2.2L) diesel was the factory fitment and it usually had a 4speed bolted up. I think there's a length difference when you slot in the 5 speed.
Yours was sold in other markets with the 4JB1T and associated transmissions (auto or 5sp manual) so a swap will be more straightforward.
Im going to try and make a checklist of what ill have to do to make it work.

If I understand correctly you are saying my tranny will bolt right up? I have a dana44 in the back, which I believe is strong enough?

·
Super Moderator
8,818 Posts
Im going to try and make a checklist of what ill have to do to make it work.

If I understand correctly you are saying my tranny will bolt right up? I have a dana44 in the back, which I believe is strong enough?
I wouldn't guarantee it'll bolt right up. But there's a good chance it will.
Have a search through some 4wd forums and you'll find a great wealth of information. Mu and Wizard are the models you're looking for.
4JB1T is a 2.8L used until about 96.
4JG2T is the 3.2L used from 96 onwards
www.clubisuzu.com
www.outer-limits4x4.com
www.4x4wire.com

are all good places to look. Google them if I spelt the names wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts