Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a 1978 Dodge Class C motor home 23'. It has a modded 318 in it, but the power and economy (7.4 mpg) leave something to desire. What, if any, are my diesel options?

Here are my needs-
- It’s a 23’ class C the GVW is 12,000 lbs(or at least that’s what it said on the door) don’t know CGVW
- I will be towing with it.
- And I live in western WA, so that means climbing mountain passes.
- Automatic
- Prefer mechanical.

Now on to some research I have already done.
- 318 diamensions L32” W23.6” H31”
- 4BT diamensions L30.6” W24.6” H37.7”
- C5.9l 12v diamensions L40” W24.9” H37.9”
From what I’ve heard the 4bt is too tall and not powerful enough, but it hauls those box trucks around:confused:
So options, Ford or Chevy V8 diesel, Izuzu?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
327 Posts
4BT will get you there

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would look into a 6bt if you can package it. Most of the step vans running the 4bt are gvwr of 10,000lbs or under and if you're gonig to be pulling a trailer with a heavier vehicle, two extra cylinders of power will help a lot.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The moment you said 'tow with it' I will say 6BTwithout even hesitating.......

Then you said mountains........ towing + mountains = 6BT HANDS DOWN

4BT will struggle with a full loaded camper + boat/vehicle in tow...... let alone up high % grades

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to run a 6bt, basically take the drive train from a '96 era dodge truck auto 2wd. BUT would it even be possible to shoe horn that thing in under the dog house?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
take a measure tape and check the space available in the engine bay... but if you start to think about a v8 check for a powerstroke 7.3, since it fits in those e-series short-nose vans it wouldn't be so hard to fit a class-c...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Get out the tape. I would stay away from the older IDI stuff. There's alot of cummins trucks being parted out around this area.
What's your budget like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did see International T444e they say it's the same as ford powerstroke, on craigslist. anybody got diamensions on some V8 diesels?

·
Registered
351 Posts
That T444 motor has been on craigslist for years. Not worth $800 considering it has no accessories and mildly laying in parts. Another thing to consider is a inline diesel will be easier to work on than a V8 in a small van engine bay. There is a complete 95 powerstroke 7.3 on craigslist with wiring harness for $1K.

·
Registered
33 Posts
78 Class C Motorhome

Have fun. That's what its all about. I put a 6BT in a 1986 Class A through the side door one piece at a time. It runs great and has tons of power. The only suggestion, is find a donor truck, do not try to piece it together. If you go with a 6BT the computer needs to be matched with the engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts