Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ford f150
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planing on swapping out the old 4.2 litre in my 02 f150 but I'm not quit sure how to do it and what swap would be more simpler and reliability is a definite must, I ain't looking for the most power but good mileage, sufficient or greater torque , however I don't think the factory 5 speed manual transmission is not sturdy enough, any suggestions, advice, help ?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Maybe read a few build threads, it took me about a year to be able to sort all the information available. Concentrate on F-series and Broncos with your body style. Transmission choice somewhat depends on the usage. I have over 70,000 miles on a 1997 M5R2 out of a junkyard F150. Does not like to go into 1st gear, but should survive another cross-country trip (see signature below). Another member used this transmission in a F250 4x4, towing heavy trailers eventually tore the transmission up.

After changing 3 internal clutch slave cylinders (the transmission has to come out) think hard about a transmission with an external clutch slave cylinders.

I am not sure that there is an adapter for your year transmission (the pattern changed in the 1996 - 1997 time frame).

p.s - I forgot to say welcome

·
Registered
2002 ford f150
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read a few I just want get some insight from few and yes thanks that was quite a tidbit of info, I'm 100% certain that my stock trans will get toast but rebuilding a trans isnt a big of an issue

·
Registered
2002 ford f150
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just collecting insights for what I might find best suited, I'm thinking 4cyl. Perkins from a 80s model ranger with my stock trans, 45 mpg is quite the range despite having only 59 hp.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Some observations:

1. Are there any adapters to fit the Perkins to your stock F150 transmission?
2. 59 Hp will not toast a stock F150 transmission if it is in fair condition.
3. 59 Hp in a heavier F150 will have trouble pulling the skin off of chocolate pudding - and you will be working it so hard that the MPG will suffer
4. If you really need 45 MPG, consider a VW TDI diesel in a VW or a Toyoda Prius

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Be aware of a 'cheap' engine, sometimes trans. adapters, turbos, parts availability, etc., make for a longtime search for proper parts.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have a couple of thoughts here, first I'm the guy that Russ mentioned who killed the m5odr2 and to be totally honest I would run one again IF I were building a 1/2 ton platform it failing was no reflection on the transmission I worked it to death and ended up shedding teeth off of both the input shaft and counter shaft gears towing at a CGVW of ~16,000#.
Second there are proven swaps here that get near your MPG goals but IIRC they tend to be midsize trucks/SUV's with either the Kubota V-2203 or VW TDI, but depending on your local the Kubota may or may not pass emissions muster. And that brings me to point #3 your first step should be to research what emission standards you will need to meet, there is no point coming up with a plan that they will shoot down or worse completing your swap and THEN finding that out..........$.02

·
Registered
11,272 Posts
One thing that you mentioned was the torque. Your base 4.2 has 205 HP @ 4750 RPM and 260 lb ft torque @ 3000 RPM. A base 4bt 3.9 Cummins had 105 HP @ 2500 RPM and 265 lb ft torque @ 1600-1800 RPM depending on application. Engine has more torque than your V6 but 100 HP less. Might get to 30 MPG but a better estimate would be in the mid 20's. The new Cummins R2.8 might be possible. It has 161 HP and 310 lb ft torque. That one can get to 30 MPG on highway and about 25 MPG city. Not exactly cheap but it is 50 state smog legal. So much will depend on how the truck is going to be used.

·
Registered
2002 ford f150
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that was reassuring I do am thankful for all your thoughts and inputs, really it's an impractical build for what I'll use it for but it's a learn something, do something kinda deal.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The post just above yours by Rolf R about the ford diesels in Brazil looks like a very good option for you , if you can work out how to get it into the USA . Might have to wait until after the election then the democrats will lift the corona virus blockade

·
Registered
4 Posts
OM606...? reliable, good mileage, light, tunable engine... would need an adapter for your trans though or update the trans. Or you can go one of the 90's Perkins Phaser 4L engines, put out around the 110Hp and 450ish Nm, and i can vouch for their fuel economy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts