Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just doing some reading for a friend of mine. I was talking to him about diesels and the Impala that Pimp My Ride had built up. Well he was curious to know if there is a diesel small enough to fit in a compact car. There are a few concerns I have about this. Primarily would be the weight: is there and engine light enough for this application? Now I know you could get enough power to push around a small comapct car in them, but would it be enough? I've been trying to do searchs on the net. Unfortunatly everything I come up with has to do with the new engines being made. Lighter, stronger, more economical and all that. I'd need something that wouldn't break the bank to get it there............... If anyone here has sugestiongs on engine type and what could be done to it to push out HP would be great. I'll pass the info onto him, and let him know, and let him decid what he will from there.

That would be tuner not tunners, bad typing............

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
sounds like a mid 80's benz turbo diesel is in store.

There are 5 cyilder and 6 cylinder varieties, the 5 cylinders will probably be cheaper and more common.

I don't know a whole lot about them, but i have seen vehicles in the area for sale in running shape for 600-1000 dollars on the low side.

This is on my long list of projects that i'd like to do, i'm not sure what i would put it in yet though.

there's a 92 dodge dakota with a 5 cylinder NA diesel in it for sale near me, i would probably tried to buy it if it were a turbo.

·
Registered
292 Posts
the benz is nice but still is heavy and the power you get is about all you can squeze out of the stock pumps....they do run though

the isuzu pup diesels are a spot to look as well the mitsubishi diesels that dodge and mitsu used in the 80's ford and jeep used a renault diese IIRC in the mid 80 for a few years

Also the toyota turbo diesel ran well and has been adapted into some cars

Personally id look at the VW diesels they have some interesting hop up tricks for them now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How about one of those VW Turegg V-10 diesels? That ought to put a strain on the Visa card. My son was looking into one until he saw the price, bought a gasser instead.

·
Registered
220 Posts
BMW 2.4 turbo diesel would work well for a small car, also a Nissan Maxima diesel. The 2.4 Diesel BMW performed about the same as the 2.8 Liter gas motor.

The 2.4 BMW was also used in the Lincoln Continental and still got about 40-42 mpg on the highway. If you are interested, I have one of each. I also have a 2.4liter WV 6 cyl motor. It is basically the same engine as the one they put in the Golf with two more cylindery. They use them in Germany in comercial trucks. PM me for more info.
Bob B.

·
Super Moderator
8,864 Posts
I'd be looking hard at the VW 1.9 TDI engines. Not cheap but those little puppies are more efficient than many full size truck engines. There's a great wealth of tuning knowledge for them too.

The Isuzu pickup motor is the C223. Also came in a turbo version C223T. Not as refined as the VW engines, probably a taller motor and not many people tweaking them.

Then you've got mercedes, bmw, nissan etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
....I was talking to (my friend) about diesels and the Impala that Pimp My Ride had built up....
Yeah, just the other day I was talking to my friend about chickens and living on Mars, then it occured to me.... :rasta: LOL!

I don't get the connection between Impalas and the PMR thing. BTW, how many tv's did they squeeze into it? LOL!

Oh, I've been awake waaaaayy too long.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd be looking hard at the VW 1.9 TDI engines.
These are probably the best for "tuner" needs, especially if swapped into a front wheel drive car. Great engines if properly kept-up, the timing belts are a factor. If swapping into a RWD application, then you might have troubles finding a tranny.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yeah, just the other day I was talking to my friend about chickens and living on Mars, then it occured to me.... :rasta: LOL!

I don't get the connection between Impalas and the PMR thing. BTW, how many tv's did they squeeze into it? LOL!

Oh, I've been awake waaaaayy too long.
the fact that they stuck a duramax diesel in it might have something to do with it, then again, mighta been the "24's"!

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
If swapping into a RWD application, then you might have troubles finding a tranny.
Acme Adapters makes adapter setups to bolt watercooled VW (including TDI) to Suzuki Samurai and Toyota transmissions.

http://www.acmeadapters.com/index.php

You could use a 2wd Toy tranny for RWD apps with that.

(And I am in no way associated with Acme, haven't got any of their stuff, just sharin' info.. Your mileage may vary, for external use only, THIS POST "AS IS")

·
Super Moderator
8,864 Posts
These are probably the best for "tuner" needs, especially if swapped into a front wheel drive car. Great engines if properly kept-up, the timing belts are a factor. If swapping into a RWD application, then you might have troubles finding a tranny.
Just to prove anything is possible, there's a guy on Pirate4x4 who swapped the VW1.9 into his old landrover.:dustin:

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
Maybe I am just getting old because I can deal with timing gears and timing chains but I just want to turn and run away from a diesel engine that has a timing belt. Gears wear out and chains can jump timing and the engine just won't run but when that timing belt breaks there usually isn't much left, or have things changed that I am not aware of?

·
Super Moderator
8,864 Posts
Maybe I am just getting old because I can deal with timing gears and timing chains but I just want to turn and run away from a diesel engine that has a timing belt. Gears wear out and chains can jump timing and the engine just won't run but when that timing belt breaks there usually isn't much left, or have things changed that I am not aware of?
I've seen a share of greif from timing chains too. Particuarly the hdyraulic tensionsed type which let it jump a tooth if revved when cold.
Makes a lovely BANG BANG BANG noise as the pistons and valves fight for the same space.

But if you want OHC, you've gotta pick one of them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just to prove anything is possible, there's a guy on Pirate4x4 who swapped the VW1.9 into his old landrover.:dustin:

That would be a fun ride! I wasnt aware that the aftermarket was supporting the vw diesels for tranny options, nice to know though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry been away for a while. Thanks for all of the info. I'm not sure how much he's still interested really. I had tried to get him to try it out, just too be different. I liek different. I finnaly decided I['m going to throw that 4bt into my jeep. Not exactly different as far as jeep go, which I don't like, but I really can't get away from the fact that there is a wealth of knowledge out there for that kind of thing. The only big thing that worries me is the wiring. I really don't know that much about any of that. The only thing saving me there really is that my jeep isn't as bad as my durango.

Well back to the possabilities of his car. Do you think it would have a good enough turn out to make it worth the time and money it would take? I guess the only serious concern is that if I talk him into trying it; it performs so badly that he immediatly needs to swap out another engine, and I was the idiot that talked him into it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
1.6L out of the early VW's, or the aformentioned 1.9L out of the newer cars.

FWD to RWD can be done. www.overlanddiesel.com , check out "the splinter build" in the recent projects section.

-Scotty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts