Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got another digital camera, here are pics with decriptions of Dodge 24 valve era stuff on a 4BT.. Then some pics of a Gen set 4BT that a friend is storing at my shop... Explainations with pics..

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some general pics of how I plan to run my accessories.. GM alternator, AC from Dodge with matching Dodge AD bracket. Dodge 6BT vibration dampener/pulley.. Not that I need it but it was cheap and I F'd up my 4BT pulley by accident when trying to lock the engine in place with a pry bar...

Not sure if I will move the alternator up and in a little bit and fab up something up to do this. I could do a complete Dodge setup but not sure how to wire the Dodge alternator it so it kicks on right, and I like the simplicity of running the GM alternators... And already have all the parts... So this is probably how it will end up..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Pics of the '02 (I think) Dodge 24 valve vibration dampener. Bolts on correctly on my '90 4BT...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 4BT is a regular non intercooled 105 hp 4BT. Plan to take this air intake plate from a 6BT and cut it shorter, then it will bolt up.. It order to make an air seal, going to have to take to an aluminum welder and have them put a bead across the plate where the line is. Then grind smooth. Again got cheap, might be more $$ than to buy the correct 4 hole intake plate, or fab one up??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took a 6BT manifold and cut the ends off, then flipped.. Works great and the vertical oil filter mount fits now, but only if the manifold is flipped.. But it moves the turbo up a little, and the most annoying thing I think is the elbow that has to come out. This is the problem with HY35s and HX35s, you can't rotate the housings because the wastegate actuator. A HX35 from a 12 valve would be fine, and you could rotate things around on the turbo housing...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here are pics of the Dodge AC bracket. I think they are all similar for all Dodges (??). the compressor is also Dodge (factory Sanden brand)...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Because of the low mount alternator GM style, or the big bulb on the top of the Dodge mount. Normally that mounts the Dodge belt tensioner which I didn't get because I thought the 4BT and Dodge tensioners would interchange/would be the same part, which they are not...

Alternator is a 140 amp from a '94 Chevy Caprice. Basically bolts on in place of the factory 4BT alternator, but it needs a harness for a CS style alternator which you have to source (you can find in most 1990 + later Chevies in the junk yard)... I got the pulley locally.. The pulley I took off the 4BT GM/Delco alternator was had a hole that was too big for the Delco alternator. Makes me think that maybe the factory alternators for GM spec 4BTs are Marine spec??

EDITING this, some of the "si" alternator pulleys bolt up to the "cs" alternators, they are not a different diameter when they are from automotive applications. I figured that my first 4BT has a weird marine alternator with that larger shaft...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have three choices, chop the upper bulb on the Dodge ac bracket (see photo) as it is unneeded; move the GM alt up and fab up a bracket (then I will get better belt angle on the alternator, but it is not too bad already); or leave as is...

I could have switched to a complete Dodge belt setup, but would have needed the Dodge alternator and tensioner, which as mentioned earlier, I did not take or want... Benefit of a Dodge setup, though, is you can get the parts all over the place, versus at Cummins only...

Third photo shows the belt routing I am planning. Nothing special, I will have to find the right Cummins part number and do measuring first before I start buying. Cummins lists their 8 groove part belts according to length in the manual...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
close ups of the Dodge AC bracket and compressor, from side and rear...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Thanks for the pics and info. I ran into that with the tensioner too! Ordered one, took it home, tore everything apart and what the hey!?? Real similar but no cigar. Turns out there were 2 tensioners specified for 1st Gen and the other one worked fine.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the 6BT heater grid that I plan on using. Supposedly you can buy new from Cummins for about $100. I got this used, they hardly go out though. You can see the wiring sort of. There are two rows of coils. One ground poorly through the aluminum, the other is a direct ground. I speculate the lower coil in the piece here (the one with the good ground) is for high heat quickly) and the second wiring is for cycling when running (which Dodge does by design) and/or gradual slower heat.. Same ground, two separate wires for each heating cycle. this is not needed for a 4BT but in cold climates it helps considerably. There were a few times last winter where the 4BT would not start without plugging in. I can't always plug it in so I need this, hence the need for the 4 bolt intake plate as well...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a pic of a Gen set 4BT I have lying around in the back ground. This does have the correct 4 bolt plate I need, you can see where the grid bolts in, in place of the spacer that is on most air/air 4BTA's...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the last thing from the Dodge, that I forgot to take a good pic of, the intake tube from a 24 valve. No major modification required to run it. But it might interfere with your brake booster, possibly, because it sticks out so wide. in the back ground of this pic. It is a 3" air intake, big, possibly too big for a 4BT I dunno. Stock air/air 4BTs run 2.5" pipes and intercooler intake/output tube diameter...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the stock aluminum port for coolant off the 4BT. Also is the remnants of another Dodge AM bracket that I have lying around that I would probably sell for about $10 or so if anyone is interested...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Then here is some neat stuff from that Gen set Bosch A-pump motor.. It has a factory piston pump. I plan to run one of these too, more powerful and consistent flow. Directions and part numbers here. I think on the 4BTs, no insulation pad cutting required unlike the 6BTs as seen here in these directions (with correct part numbers for using with a VE rotary pump)...

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...q&nr=168&catnr=20&prog=1&lang=en&onlynewfaq=1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Neat factory double fuel filter mount (I can probably get the part number for this if anyone is interested), a neat spot that I didn't know supplied oil pressure, and the coolant port for the stationary motor, that points out straight instead of 45 degrees down like the bread truck mounts...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So that's it, hope this stuff helps out someone...

beer

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dual Belt Pulley

Does anyone have a part number for dual fan belt pulley, one serpentine and one v belt. Narrow Bronco frame rails prevent the bottom AC mount. I'll have to mount my AC pump top left.

I can barely get parts from the cummins dealer correctly, if I give them the engine serial # and CPL. Just last week I ordered all the rubber hose and rubber elbow for the aftercooler piping. Instead of the elbow at front below thermostat housing, I got the steel pipe from that area to cooler. :rolleyes: Had to return and re-order. This is the Cummins dealer on exit 104, I-95 near Kenly NC. No use to go there and ask them if they can look up a dual fan pulley.

Need a Part # for the double belt fan pulley. Anyone know it?

Wayne

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
Does anyone have a part number for dual fan belt pulley, one serpentine and one v belt.
It is actually two separate pulleys. You just need to outer pulley. I'll see if I have a part number on the one I have (weather permitting).

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi, I am starting to collect parts and info for may first 4bt swamp and also got a AC bracket from a 6bt and it gets in the way of the motor mount bracket.
I have seen one custom made bracket that addressed this issue by moving the mount back but I don't see how to do this with the Dodge 6bt bracket.

Where are you planning to bolt the motor mount bracket?

Regards

Fernando

1 - 20 of 58 Posts