Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a new member and I have a porblem. I am a dieselholic. Must have #2 fuel oil in my blood. Been driving diesels for over 30 years and would rather fight that switch. My first vehicle was a 79 Peugeot 504D which I dearly loved. Drove it for 178K and parked it in 1997. Sold it last year to a guy who had several just like it. He had it running in just a few hours and it hadn't been cranked in 12 yrs. Best car I ever owned. The reason I quit driving it was I had an F250 7.3 IDI and I loved driving the big truck. I still drive it every day with 288K on it. Never turned a bolt on the engine. Did replace the injection pump at 212K. It has needed one starter, one water pump, and one clutch. I have been toying with the idea of building a vehicle with a 3.9. Would like a full size bronco probably in the '87 to '91 series or later. Plans for the engine would be a full balance and blue print, ported head, pdr performace cam, 50 to 75 hp injectors, and large intercooler. It would really be a minature 12 valve. The one part of the equasion that is lacking is a turbo. From all the threads I have read, there is no exact science in matching a turbo to the engine. It is a lot of trial and error. There are a lot of variables to consider. Intake air flow, intake maniford, intercooler size, exhaust manifold design, exhaust size, and of course how much fuel you have available. I would be using a P7100 pump which I feel is the best all around. Like I said this is in the planning stage. I figure the completed engine could hit $10K depending on how well I shop. But a brand new in the crate cummins is about $7K or more. I'm a believer in doing a thing right the first time so you don't have to redo it 3 more times even if it takes a little longer. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
That's becuase 99% on this board has a Ve and those that have the P pumps don't use it like it should but just have it beacuse they wanted the Wow just to say they have it.

I can say build it the way you want it and don't go for well just get a 6b because it easy.

Scott

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
My first vehicle was a 79 Peugeot 504D which I dearly loved.
i would like to have a 504 pickup (it was made in argentina until '99)
look this one i saw with a wooden bed

btw as you were talking about your f250, i remember some years ago some were made in brazil using this 7.3L engine only for export to australia and the u.k. but with direct injection and a turbo, 275hp stock... i just don't remember what was about the intercooler...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Please describe for use the proper way to use a p-pump?
i believe what he means is not using them to their potential. most who have p pumps have under 300hp which a ve could easily handle, probably even better than a p, but a p pump can handle enough fuel for well over 500hp.
by the way i would like a p pump :]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts