Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be swapping a 4BT into my LR Discovery2 sometime in the next year, so the research and parts pileup starts now. And im not running LR running gear, ive got FZJ80 LC axles :grinpimp:

I'll be using a 4L80E trans with a Compushift controller.
I'm keeping my LR t-case, its strong as hell.

But i still dont know what type of 4BT is best, it seems like every engine I see is different? Perfect example would be these two:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hassett/sets/72157594566331454/

It looks like the tan one is non intercooled, and the black one is? It seems like all of the engines have different intakes. I know I want an intercooled engine, so which vans had them? Any advise would be great

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The pics you linked up,
The tan one is water aftercooled .The black one in air intercooled,also the black has a non air cooled intake plate.

The air intercooled trucks are hit and miss,those you'll have to look for.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
You can add a aftercooler to any of the 4B's. Tweak the pump and timing and you can reach the same output or higher of the 4BTA's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Question - Sorta

I am also looking to build with 4bt. What is the important things to look for? What version is best overall for this use??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I am also looking to build with 4bt. What is the important things to look for? What version is best overall for this use??

Thanks
The first rule is make sure it has the engine ID tag and the EPA tag approved for automotive use.
What to look for?, A complete engine ie, a cutout. Get all the intake pluming, all accessories etc.
Best version? There all the same, a 4BT is a 4BT.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
All the motor vehicle 4BT are the same, however some of the marine versions, or those used in tow motors, stationary powerplants and other applications can be a whole world of headaches. Other than that they're all the same except for power levels and charge air cooling, both of which you can modify. As mentioned above, CPL ID tag/EPA Emissions tag MUST be attached to engine.

·
Super Moderator
8,763 Posts
How are you going to deal with the control systems in the D2? I hear they're integrated to an incredibly painful degree into everything in the vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How are you going to deal with the control systems in the D2? I hear they're integrated to an incredibly painful degree into everything in the vehicle.
Im not. I already have toyota FZJ80 axles under my truck, which means i have no ABS, TC, or HDC. I am going to put in this engine, and trans and set it up all with its own dash. Then im just going to keep the existing wiring as it is. Engine as one electrical system, and security/body control as another.

·
Registered
335 Posts
more shakin

now wasnt there a early externaly balanced version that was used in trucks that vibrated more than the internaly balanced models? If so, is there a year split to look for? I think I asked this befor, but still havent gotten a dead nuts answer....Thanks guys:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts