Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Do any of you know if there are different fuel filter housings available for 6BT with P7100 pump. My engine is from a Ford F700 and is up high about parallel with the top of the intake plate. It is really close to the hydroboost unit and would be nice to get something lower down a litting closer to the lift pump. May not exist, but thought someone might know.

I also want to know what the engine side fitting is on the P7100. The best I can tell it is a fuel return line, but I did not see it in the other truck. If so, is it necessary to take it back to the tank?

This is my first time dealing with a 6BT so any help is appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same engine on my 96 Dodge, and I have the same problem. Its a royal pain to change the fuel filter, because the brake booster is in the way. You can buy an aftermarket filter relocation kit, like these:

http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=114

the problem with these kits is that they get in the way of injector pump, which most of us like to modify.

Yes the fitting on the engine side of the P7100 pump is for the return line. The fitting is actually an Overflow Valve which is used to regulate the fuel pressure to the injector pump. If you ever have a problem with low fuel pressure from the lift pump, 99% of the time it will be due to a bad Overflow Valve. Just run this line back to the tank, use 5/16, diesel rated (not gas) fuel line. Hope this helps. . . :D

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Have you used one of these filters? The intake elbow is a little different on the ford as it comes straight out and does not have a heater grid. That looks like it might affect mounting on the after market kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks! Have you used one of these filters? The intake elbow is a little different on the ford as it comes straight out and does not have a heater grid. That looks like it might affect mounting on the after market kit.
No, never used one, I was just throwing it out there as an option. But I have heard of guys that have and actually don't like it. The problem is that it gets in way if you're trying to access the injection pump. Most of us go in and change the cam plate and adjust the AFC to make more power. :D

On my truck the fuel filter only needs changing about every 20-30,000 miles anyway (I can tell because of the drop in fuel pressure, I have a gauge in the cab), so I can live with it the way it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts