Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The black plastic tube of "air brake" tubing used for my 4BT oil dipstick (ex Frito Lay) is cracked.

Is there a published length on this, or do I just make sure I have the right oil qty in the pan and cut the replacement tube until I get the proper oil level reading? Even a 1/4" of tube length changes the dipstick quantity a fair bit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The plastic on the dipstick tube that came with my engine is 30 inches long. It went to a bracket at the front of the intake. The dipstick is #3907679. The measurement from where the dipstick tube seats in the block to the full mark on the dipstick is 3-7/16 inches.
While on this subject, does anyone know of a metal dipstick tube that reachs to the back bolts of the intake cover? I have seen a picture of a dipstick that goes there, but it may have a plastic tube also. Even that info would be helpful!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The measurement from where the dipstick tube seat in the block to the full mark on the dipstick is 3-7/16 inches.
Awesome! That is very helpful.
I was thinking of just adding 10 qts to the pan and marking it with that, But I don't know if that is 10 qts by itself or 10 qts after engine shut-down (oil filter full)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I can't tell you exactly. I used bulk oil and didn't measure it yet. I would recommend 8-9 qts, then start the engine. Adjust accordingly. Because I used bulk oil and guessed at 10 qts, I overfilled mine by about a quart and had to drain some out. Oops!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I buy Rotella T in 1 gallon jugs and can use an empty 1-qt oil bottle to measure 10 qts.

Still not sure if that (10 qts) is with oil filter full or empty, though.
I think that is just what the pan holds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts