Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my engine, for my power wagon, out today! I did it my condos parking lot with a basic set of hand tools. Now I have to get it towed away. I am trying to donate it to my school as a project or something they can scrap for cash. I will post pics on my cardomain.com/id/altered_auto page shortly.

Now for the question. What is the best way to turn the engine over to remove the flywheel bolts. I know snap on makes a special tool for that application but I would prefer not to buy it. I was thinking about putting the tranny in reverse and using a prybar to turn the output shaft therfore turning the engine. If there is a better way I would like to know about it

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
If your fan belt is still on you can put a ratchet on the alternator pulley nut and turn it clockwise or you can use a six point socket on one of the four crankshaft pulley bolts and turn it that way. Do not use an impact wrench in either case.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
On the engine/transmission adapter there is a cover plate with two bolts and a smaller round plastic "plug" for the special socket tool for rotating the engine, "Engine Barring Tool" is what it is called. It is used to rotate the engine for several procedures including installing/removing the torque converter bolts, which are accessed thru that two bolt cover plate I mentioned.

The best price I have found on a brand new one is from Cummins, approx. $40. Find the local Cummins with parts supply or a big truck service center (Kenworth, Peterbuilt etc.) with parts.

Or do as Bob suggests.

·
Registered
808 Posts
May I suggest that the Cummins Barring Tool PN 3824591 is a great tool to have in your tool box. It makes engine rotation simple, especially when locating TDC. Do a search on Ebay Motors. I have seen used one on there quite cheap. There is nothing to really wear out, so used should be good to go.

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts