Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been running the truck for a while now in the shop, and have great oil pressure. Tonight I was playing arround, and finaly looked through the clear cover that I made that blocks off where the power steering pump would go, and to my amazment there was no oil slinging on/off the gear while it turns!!!!:eek: Now im scared that there is a problem... am I correct that there should be oil slinging off of the gears in the front cover, or is there just alot smaller amount than what I was expecting? come on guys, anybody know for sure???

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of what im talking about, if you havent seen it in my buildup thread...

·
Registered
854 Posts
As long as the gear is wet with oil, it has enough on it.

I imagine it just gets a little from what comes through the front main bearing?

Hahaha....you can add a little Lucas to the oil and watch it climb, like they have on the counter tops of parts houses with the little crank and three white plastic gears inside!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still worried

Bumpity bump for more opinions..... I talked to a tech today, and he has drove trucks in and out of the shop with no front covers on them and didnt have oil shooting everywhere.... but still couldnt give me an answer if I should be seeing oil slinging off of the gears? Ahhhh :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have the gears siezed up yet ??

If not then there must be enough oil on them. If everything were truly running dry it wouldnt take long at all to die.

We did the same as you 30k miles ago on a 6.0 to 5.9 conversion in a 03 ford.
We removed a large air compressor from the 5.9 , it was an industrial motor that needed it for air brakes etc... ( FL-70 donor)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No they havent siezed yet, and dont want them to;) They are oily, but there just wansnt alot of oil splashin and being slung like I thought it would.....well I guess ill just keep on truckin and see what happens. Atleast I can keep an eye on things with the clear cover...or maybe it would be better if I couldnt...dam paranoia :rasta:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Ya got me on that one, Toolman! I really don't have any idea what things should look like. With it being the primary timing and gearing for the whole engine a guy would expect to see a lot of oil in my opinion. Sorry, no answer.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Your gears are fine there should not be a bunch of oil slinging around in there. I have driven my trucks and many others with either the gear cover missing or the p/s pump removed like yours and I never saw oil slinging. Albeit with the cover removed the oil does seep from around the crank since there is no front main seal then. The gear case is not designed as a oil bath type enclosure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts