Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running 33x12.5 tires I only do mild 4x4 mostly trails nothing crazy. Maybe once a month its also my daily driver. Would a 8.8 rear axle do the trick? And if so whats a good pair for the front?

·
Registered
68 Posts
8.8 will be good. You probably be good with the stock front axle on 33s. A dana 44 is probably a good choice if you want alittle more strength.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd ask a couple more questions before I answered. What is the weight of the rig, and how much horsepower do you have?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure of either of those ? Its a jeep yj engine is not stock close to 200hp

·
Registered
179 Posts
Then I'd run the stock rear til it lets go. 33's are not "big" if you arent throwing around a lot of weight with big horses and a heavy foot. An 8.8 would be great, and that is what I put in my YJ with a 4bt and 35" tires. Same scenario-It will not see hard use and it is light. I put a 44 front in as well. I did full width axles and just run as much negative offset as possible on the wheels. You can spend as much on upgrades for your axle as a swap will cost, so do the swap before buying alloy axles and other nonsense for an otherwise light duty axle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then I'd run the stock rear til it lets go. 33's are not "big" if you arent throwing around a lot of weight with big horses and a heavy foot. An 8.8 would be great, and that is what I put in my YJ with a 4bt and 35" tires. Same scenario-It will not see hard use and it is light. I put a 44 front in as well. I did full width axles and just run as much negative offset as possible on the wheels. You can spend as much on upgrades for your axle as a swap will cost, so do the swap before buying alloy axles and other nonsense for an otherwise light duty axle.
Thanks. What gears are you running? And would I do the same with 33's as you do with your 35's. There is a good possibility that I'd be getting 35's sometime in the near future. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have another ? For you if I put new leafsprings on that have 1 extra leaf in them do I need to change the shackles at all? And would leafs from a TJ fit with no modifications?

·
Registered
52 Posts
8.8's are known to stretch their diff bearing caps in heavy use. Ask me how I learned about this. Mark Williams makes a steel replacement cap that is sold individually. I had to buy two of them. C-Clip Eliminators would also be a good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts