Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Dana 71 from a 1990 W250 for a project. I opened it up, marked my caps and pulled out the carrier. The gears are good but the bearings should be changed. As this is the furthest I've ever gone dismantling a differential, my question is, if I replace the bearings with the same brand and part # and use the same shims that were on the carrier and pinion, will the gear pattern and settings be the same or will I have to do a complete reset of the gears?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Having rebuilt three pairs of axles, I would start with the same width shims on both sides and check the pattern on the ring gear. Since you didn't pull the pinion gear, you may be good with the original shims. If not, it's a real pain to pull and press the bearings until you get the right backlash and pattern on the ring gear.
Have patience. It can be done. That's how you learn to do it right.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Before you pull the old bearing off, use marking grease to check what the current pattern is. Also check what the current backlash is also. Then when you have the new bearings on check the pattern to see if it matches with the same backlash. Try to get the pattern to match as close as possible, old gears that are broke in are matched to each other like a lifter to it's cam lobe.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I forgot to mention, mark your bearing caps so they bolt back on to their original location. Left or right, top bolt hole up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts